• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

PapaRed1

RVF Regular
Newbie question,
Just got our first 5er. 2019 winnabego Minnie plus. 29 feet long. Towed with a f350 dally. My question is i have the opportunity to go out this weekend to a new spot i have beer been to before. It’s a drive but looks pretty cool. My question is the entrance has a height restriction of 12 foot 9 inches. My rig hooked up measure 12 foot 4 inches. I know the math suggests 5 inches of clearance but experience has taught me the world is not all it seems at times. Would you risk it with 5 inches to spare or would you pass to avoid issues? Really do not want to damage my rig so i thought i would ask the good folks on this site.

Measure 3 times in travel configuration. If you verified the height is correct then proceed with caution maybe with an observer if you have the luxury of one to spot the clearance or listen for contact.

Good advice, so far i have measured about 10 times hooked up and gear retracted. Found the specs on my rig are wrong. Book says 11 foot 11 with ac, but not in reality. Rig is 11’ 2” and add 14 “ for ac you get 12’ 4 inches. Bit as i mentioned real world is always a little different from what’s on paper.

PapaReed1,
If you are in doubt, DON'T DO IT! It can ruin your day. I have seen more than one RV damaged by trying to fit under an opening that they assumed it is OK.
Unless you can measure it yourself.
Before I bought our house, I measured 3 times the door height for the RV. Did not trust the real estate guy (trust but verify:).
Another guy on the street bought his house, and first time trying to get the coach in the garage, hit the AC's on the roof.

As @Neal suggests, this is the time for a "spotter." If you are traveling solo, stop at the park entrance and make a visual assessment yourself. Recruit anyone in the area to "spot" for you, if at all possible. If clearance appears OK, proceed very slowly and stop immediately if you hear any odd noise.

Good luck.

TJ

Are there any shorter class A rv’s out there? My garage has a 12‘ 7” opening.

In the Newmar line, the DP New Aire spec's out at 12'3" and the gas Bay Star Sport at 12'4". I don't know about the other brands.

Pilot cars in the oversize load business set a pole as long as the load is high. Using the pole the pilot car operator can quickly, and without questionable result check to make sure the load will pass without issues.

it is advisable to park and check before your last safe turnaround, a problem if you rely on looking when you are already there to judge clearances.

Latest resources

Back