Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

neptune1

RVF Newbee
Hi, I just joined. My wife and I are from Washington State. We used to gave a small 20 Ft Travel Trailer
years ago and are looking towards one of the 20 Ft RPods.

What we have in mind for a truck is of course something that will give the best gas mileage possible
of course for us.

We started looking at some of the smaller trucks (Chev Colorado, GMC Canyon, etc) but decided to
stop there and see if there was a forum that could help steer us in the right directions.

Does anyone have suggestions on trucks or smaller trucks to tow a 20 Ft RPod (dry weight between 26,000 to 3,000)
that would be best choice for best possible gas mileage?

Thanks so much in advance...

That’s awesome, welcome to the forum!

Kinda need more info. Is the truck going to be strictly a tow vehicle? Do you want/need 4 wheel drive? Why don’t you want a grill size truck? Some of the Ford’s F150’s w/their twin turbos sounds perfect for what you’re trying to do. But again, need more info.

I can tell you that a Toyota Tundra is gas a hogs (ask me how I know ). So you probably want to stay away from that one. And Tacoma’s I’ve heard only do a tad better on MPG’s.
If I was you I’d look into something that has a turbo’d v6.

First, welcome to RVF, @neptune1; glad to have you here with us.

Now, about the truck. It is really about the numbers; Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) and tongue weight of the trailer. First, find the GVWR and tongue weight for the trailer you are considering. They should be available on the manufacturer’s website and will be posted on a sticker attached to the trailer itself.

Then, find the GVWR and GCVWR numbers for the truck you are considering. The truck needs to have enough rated capacity (GCVWR) for both truck and trailer GVWRs plus a 20% safety factor.

Without us having the rating numbers for the trailer, at least, we really can’t provide you with much guidance. What I would say is that you need to have enough truck to both pull and safely stop the trailer. That suggests that you not go too light. Follow the numbers.

TJ

That’s awesome, welcome to the forum!

Kinda need more info. Is the truck going to be strictly a tow vehicle? Do you want/need 4 wheel drive? Why don’t you want a grill size truck? Some of the Ford’s F150’s w/their twin turbos sounds perfect for what you’re trying to do. But again, need more info.

I can tell you that a Toyota Tundra is gas a hogs (ask me how I know ). So you probably want to stay away from that one. And Tacoma’s I’ve heard only do a tad better on MPG’s.
If I was you I’d look into something that has a turbo’d v6.

Hi TJ and thank you!

Ugh... I was afraid we would get too many questions/thoughts/ideas etc... thanks for your help, we'll get it figured out. Back in the old days, we bought a chevy full size truck, slapped a hitch from JCWhitney catalog, picked up a 50 buck brake controller, bought a trailer that we could pull and off we went LOL

We'll figure it out.. :) take care and thanks again

@neptune1 first welcome.

I assume you meant 2,600 to 3,000 lbs. Almost any truck would tow that. I personally would choose something with a v8, with the new mpg numbers why go small? Consider my ram1500 numbers. 16.5 city 21 hyway. And 5.7l of big Iron power to climb those hills, and crew cab for trips with friends.

My brother bought the Colorado and kept the Silverado to haul the RV.

Latest resources

Back