Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Hellooooo . . ready to do this again, I think!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Debs FR3

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
FR3 30DS
RV Length
31' 8"
Chassis
Ford
Engine
Triton V8
Fulltimer
No
I just bought and brought home my 2022 Forest River FR3, a world of difference from the 1996 Georgie Boy I sold a couple of years ago! There is a solar panel on the roof to keep the house batteries charged. I am new to solar and am not sure if I should leave this running all winter or if I should turn it on sporadically? My dealership service is really not familiar either and of very little help with my questions so far. I have also been trying to winterize her and so far 2 days, really cold and it has been a struggle.

If its just one panel and its only keeping your battery bank topped off, it can stay on all the time but should have a charge controller between the panel and the battery bank. So check for that and if it doesn’t, a simple and inexpensive PWM controller will be sufficient. If it does have a controller, do a little research on the make and model and be sure its reliable and of good quality.

This is a Victron example and costs around $30:

This is discussion on PWM vs MPPT controllers

Rich is right....make sure there's a charge controller between the panel and the battery(s). If so, great, if not, there's a risk of overcharging on a very sunny day. With a controller, you can then add panels as space permits, and do some boondocking without the need for a generator.

Roger

Latest resources

Back