Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina 330MB
RV Length
Engine
Ford 550
Fulltimer
No
I went to climb in the driver's side door on my 1996 coachmen catalina and the foot hold pulled out. The wood at the bottom is disintegrating, but at the top still appears pretty solid. Any tips on how to repair this? Thanks in advance.

20220706_092857.jpg

If you're handy with fiberglass it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise I would go find a fiberglass boat repair guy. I would use some of the newer composite stuff instead of wood.

I agree. No wood is needed if you make the fiberglass repair strong enough.

If you're handy with fiberglass it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise I would go find a fiberglass boat repair guy. I would use some of the newer composite stuff instead of wood.
Thanks. I'm not scared of the fiberglass work, but do you know I've only ever seen composite in the form of decking. The bottom 8-10 inches of wood is pretty crumbly all the way around. Do you know anywhere I could get 2x8 or 2x10 composite?

I agree. No wood is needed if you make the fiberglass repair strong enough.
I have the intact foot hold (not pictured) and it's in good shape really. The real problem I have is the plywood on the bottom of that opening is rotted and won't provide any structural support. The bottom 8-10 inches is like that all the way around the RV, I'd guess just from being exposed on the underside. The wood at the top of that opening is in decent shape.

I have the intact foot hold (not pictured) and it's in good shape really. The real problem I have is the plywood on the bottom of that opening is rotted and won't provide any structural support. The bottom 8-10 inches is like that all the way around the RV, I'd guess just from being exposed on the underside. The wood at the top of that opening is in decent shape.
They make a Marine Grade plywood that should hold up really well. It;s used in bathrooms around tubs and showers. You can fiberglass over that and have a really strong step I would think.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back