Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

smokindopey420

RVF Regular
Hello my name is Justin I am owner of a 2001 southwind Fleetwood Storm RV and have come up on a charging issue with my battery. I've checked the alternator the alternator is fine. When I get to RV started the battery gauge starts going up as if it's charging the battery and then within like 5 minutes I hear this click noise from underneath the dash and the voltage drops to almost nothing can anybody tell me what that could be.

I would check you battery to make sure it is not empty if it is a wet cell or has not failed. The other item could be the alternator/ relay going bad. May not show up until it has heated up some.

The clicking noise is likely an auto reset breaker. My guess is the battery has a bad cell or two making the breaker overheat.
If you don't have a multi meter, you can pick one up at harbor freight tools, or Walmart for very little. It is a nessisary troubleshooting tool.

That said, what is the battery voltage when not charging?

I'm not sure what the voltage was cuz I put the battery on the charger and now the voltage is 13.5
13.5 is not resting unless other than lead technology.

The breaker protects the wire. Is the wire getting hot?(I use ir thermometer for troubleshooting). However if still tripping it could be the breaker is in need of replacement.

13.5 is not resting unless other than lead technology.

The breaker protects the wire. Is the wire getting hot?(I use ir thermometer for troubleshooting). However if still tripping it could be the breaker is in need of replacement.
What wire are you talking about and where would it be located?

I reviewed the posts on this thread!
I need to start over! I apologize for any misleading I have been guilty of.

First: are we talking about the chassis battery, or the house batteries!

At the battery, what is the voltage using your multi meter? Engine running. Then engine not running.

Latest resources

Back