• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jensla

RVF Newbee
I have a 1999 Prowler 5th wheel.

You could see that the toilet tank needed draining because you could see it in the trailer when you moved the handle.

So I had a guy come out to drain. Also my husband hooked up a secondary holding tank and that was drained.

He said he cleaned out both and I think he did. The holding tank under neath seemed empty or hollow when you tap it.

Problem is the black water tank is still showing as full. And when you flush the toilet it doesn't go down. ?? The guy said it's not likely plugged because his suction on his hose is super strong.

Another weird issue is that I was trying to see what was down the toilet and you used to be able to just open the toilet to let out any pee, but now water rushes in to flush.

Any insight or ideas would be helpful. We are new to this and this is very frustrating. It's also parked by our house and we can't tow it anywhere.

It sounds to me like the guy that emptied your tanks either forgot or didn't get the valve open when he hooked to your fitting. Try dumping your tank into the secondary holding tank and see what happens. Far as the sensors, they ain't worth a hoot anyhow. A slight build up on a rod and it will show a light.

I am confused when you say you flush the toilet and nothing goes down??? These are simple devices and use gravity alone. Press the foot bar all the way and it opens the valve and down goes whatever. Maybe I misunderstood something here. You would easily see a total backup to the toilet valve that opens to drop waste if it were backed all the way up that far.

As to the black tank sensor…..if they get contaminants of any kind on them you will never get a accurate read. After use when we dump our tanks at the campground we use the black water clean out to run the tanks spray cleaner to hopefully clean off everything as well as get everything off the walls of the tank to flush out prior to disconnecting and packing up.

Minus having at your disposal a camera system plumbers use to run down the toilet to see what may be happening, I suggest running a dedicated hose into the toilet with the toilet valve open to flush the system several times to clean it if the system has been neglected over the years.

But it would serve to be hooked up to a dump site to do this obviously.

Good luck.

I find that all 3 of my tank sensors, water, grey water, and black water, give random and usually inaccurate readings. One thing we've done in the past, after dumping the black water tank, is put a bag of crushed ice in the toilet before we depart. Flush it down by depressing the foot valve. The sloshing around of the ice when traveling seems to break up any residue on the sides of the tank. It helps but may or may not resolve the issue.

As to the fresh water and grey water tanks, make sure the sensor wires are intact and are connected. I've found in our case the wires are exposed to the elements and the crimp connectors or whatever were applied, are not waterproof. Thus the connections corrode and are prone not to make good contact. Nothing to do but remove the connection places and make new and clean connections. I personally solder my connections and insulate them with a special heat shrink tubing that contains an adhesive thus making them water-resistant.

Latest resources

Back