Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mmellen98

RVF Newbee
I have a 2018 GMC 1500 4x4 and have been looking at buying a TT. The truck GVWR is 7200 lbs. With my wife, myself and full fuel, the truck weighs 6060 lbs. That leaves 1140 lbs in remaining truck cargo capacity. One trailer I’m looking at has a hitch weight of 952 lbs. That leaves 188 lbs of truck cargo capacity. If we add one additional (medium) passenger or “stuff” in the truck, as long as it does not exceed 188 lbs total, is that reasonable or do I need a margin for error?

Also, I would like to add a Blue Ox SwayPro weight distribution hitch. The SwayPro physically weighs about 95 lbs. Does that add to my hitch weight or just trailer weight? If so does that cut back my truck cargo capacity to 188-95=93 lbs?

I realize that the total trailer weight vs truck towing capacity is important as well. However, it seems like I have more options to trailer dry weight than hitch weights.

I would really appreicate your thoughts and advice, thank you.

FYI - The dealer refers to the trailer as a “half ton” saying “everyone pulls this trailer with a half ton truck with no problem”. Obviously that’s a sales pitch that leaves out a few details. ;-)

I would hate to always be on the road with not much room to spare for sure. That said, the salesman is telling one side of the truth, that being people do it all day long. But to what detriment? Are they putting undo stress on the trucks frame and transmission? The biggest thing I can see is if you are in a accident and a third party is injured and you are slightly over your manufacturer specified weight, a crafty lawyer will take you to the bank!

Any other TT’s that are lighter that fits your need?

And yes, a WDH does add to your payload capacity unfortunately. Don’t forget to add the weight of filled LP tanks either! The rating is based on empty from my understanding. It gets crazy doesn’t it!

I have been going back and forth recently trying to decide between a SRW 1-ton and a DRW 1-ton. I have crunched all the numbers on the toy hauler I am buying and I was going to be slightly over on tongue, or payload.

I don't put much credibility in what RV dealers say about such matters, however I did discuss the issue with my current dealer. He brought up some good points. He pointed out that if we were just towing a few times a year, and pretty much shorter distances and level ground then the single rear wheel option could work okay. However, if full time traveling then a dually should be on our radar.

So how are you planning on using your TT?

I have been going back and forth recently trying to decide between a SRW 1-ton and a DRW 1-ton. I have crunched all the numbers on the toy hauler I am buying and I was going to be slightly over on tongue, or payload.

I don't put much credibility in what RV dealers say about such matters, however I did discuss the issue with my current dealer. He brought up some good points. He pointed out that if we were just towing a few times a year, and pretty much shorter distances and level ground then the single rear wheel option could work okay. However, if full time traveling then a dually should be on our radar.

So how are you planning on using your TT?
First I take this opportunity to congrat you @FL-JOE on the sold sign in your signature.

@Mmellen98 Had a long talk with a tire pro years ago when designing a trailer to transport my sailboat. We talked about cost of tires from a payload perspective. I was considering 2 or 3 axles. and tire rating came into play. Yes I could use 2 axles and handle the weight, or I could use 3 axles and spend less on tires that would handle the weight. Also the tong weight would be lower on the 3 axle design. I used a penal hook hitch rather than weight distribution hitch because I could move the hitch point closer to the axles of the TV to reduce sway. My 12500lbs dry weight boat on a 3 axle trailer pulled by a single wheel rear axle rig pulled the boat out of San Deigo CA to AZ with never any stability problems. I personally always over rate tire weight ratings. The issue is tire capacity sw vs. dw The axle can handle the weight and suspension can as well. The question is the tire. Inflate the tire for the load you are hauling and rate the tire to take the pressure needed to handle the load. The sidewall of the tire is not designed to stop roll, no matter how many tires you put there, side movement is not measurably changed, More tires more air cushion thats the hole story about one ton trucks.

Thanks Kevin. It seems like a good market right now.

The Blue Ox is a very good choice. Our TT GVWR is a tad over 7400 and our tow vehicle is a Ford F-150 with a tow rating of 13000. You should be fine. a simple rule I go buy is up to 28' easy to pull with a 1/2 ton. Any thing over you a 3/4 ton are more. That is just my opinion. We travel part time, if we were traveling full time with the TT we have I would upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I personally don't think you can over do on a tow vehicle.

Latest resources

Back