Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How do your pets travel with you (while driving)?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Currently my puppy rides in the crate. My last dog had the Jack Knife sofa which had a sofa cover on it to protect the upholstery. I didn't use a harness and seat belt strap with the last dog but I've started using one with Elli (now 5 months old).

I'm curious how other dog owners "secure" their pets while driving or let them be free as I did with my last dog who sometimes was on the sofa and sometimes was sitting or laying next to me while driving.

Can you share the harness and seat belt device you are using.

Dusty spends most of his driving days asleep on the sofa. I know it’s not as safe as being tied in but sometimes you just accept some risk. In the jeep, he rides in his soft crate in the back seat.

Our two Mini Schnauzer ride in upholstered foam "pet car seats" that are secured by the car/motorhome seat belts. Each dog wears a harness similar to the one @Neal posted the link to. The pet car seats have a tether strap secured to the seat belt on one end and to the rear harness loop. Our dogs are quite used to traveling this way.

With a larger dog like Elli, the pet car seat approach probably doesn't work as well.

TJ

Last edited:
Usually our dog sleeps on the loveseat during the drive. I planned a solo trip to visit my Sis and BIL and was going to take the dog. I was concerned that she would be all over the place so I bought straps like Neal posted only to find that the seat belts back in '97 are totally different than seat belts today, so the straps wouldn't lock into the receiver. Anyway, the dog slept on the love seat as usual and was not an issue.

No matter how long the drive, Daisy sleeps all the way on DW’s lap. Just wakes up for occasional treat, drink ow water or potty break. No harness or a crate.

Walter's always in a seatbelt in the backseat.

We have been driving both vehicles to our camping spot lately - esp. since most of our camping is in a two hour radius.
Putting all 5 of us (2 adults & 2 large dogs plus one XL) in the super-cab truck gets a bit cramped, esp. for the 3 dogs in back seat.
Plus having the car to sightsee, etc. is very convenient.
We should probably get harnesses for the dogs but 2 usually ride with the DW in the SUV and one in the back seat of my truck.

Mine are not going to tolerate being prisoners.

I told them it was for their own good.

They replied "I wish you would stop being so good to us."

Wait....that was Cool Hand Luke.............................

I just have to continue to hope that I dont get in a wreck or make any sudden moves/stops.

Latest resources

Back