Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How do your pets travel with you (while driving)?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Our two dogs are in their harnesses leashed to the base of the passenger seat with just enough room to roam without being able to get under my legs. They share a dog bed placed between the Driver and passenger seats, although the little one is happiest on my wife’s lap.

@Old Bubblehead can you share what extended tether you are using.
I'll have the wife check on where/ what she ordered. I know it is a harness for each dog, and a tether that connects the harness to the seat belt on the pull out couch. I'm at work out of the country, so I will catch up with her in morning.

I have never traveled solo with our dog. I plan to tether him with some room to lay on his bed near the cockpit. What do you all do when you leave your coaches? Do you leave them free to roam or crate them or take them with you and keep them in the car. My dog can get separation anxiety when I leave so I have to think about this carefully.

We have one of those foldable wire fences (4 sections) that folds flat for storage that we put around the dinette area. There is room for Dusty’s bed, a water dish and an area of tile that he can lay upon if he so chooses. This is where he also sleeps at night and where we leave him if we leave the coach. He feels very safe this way and never barks or causes problems. He was trained this way as a pup. We also leave a Kong ball with treats with him every time we leave.

Last edited:
We used to keep our crates (two) in the rear closet, DW got tired of giving up that space. So, pups free range when in coach now. Sometimes they run back to closet looking for their space! They have gotten used to being loose at night and found new comfortable (to them) places to lounge. When we are home in S&B they enjoy using their crates again. With having the two dogs, it cuts down on their anxiety issues. Our smaller pup is a nervous traveler, so leaving her in coach is easier on her than toting her around in car. We keep A/C in comfortable range, AGS is online, and we monitor remotely to ensure all is copasetic.

We have a 2015 Thor 28Z. The German Shepherd rides on a pad between the driver and passenger seats. The mini dachshund rides in her kennel that is strapped under the table.

Had two standard poodles, now have three. They are free to roam while on the road. Sometimes on the coach, sometimes on the floor between the wife and I. Class A accidents don't end well, so all five of us are likely toast if we are in a major accident, so I don't see the benefit in harnessing them for their safety. As they are large dogs, there is no fear of them getting under my feet.

Our MaltiPoo sleeps on the seat next to my wife most of the way.

2 german shepherd's, both of them are free to roam as they please. They usually end up passed out on the same bed at the foot of my recliner. Sometimes they move around up to the dash, or laying down on the floor next to me which is fine. They don't bother me! I like having the company.

Miss Daisy sleeps all the way in DW's lap, or next to her in the seat. That's way she is called a "Lap Dog"

Latest resources

Back