• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How far do you fill your FL Def tank?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I wait until Im down about 1/4 (one green dot) and add a 2.5 gal jug, much like the method employed by @ARD. Keeps everything in the tank wet and at over 300 mpg of DEF I can do it at my leisure.

I too usually fill with jugs from Tractor Supply. My DEF tank is on the passenger side and it's a PIA to fill it at a truck stop.

A while back I was looking for an easy way to fill w/o using a funnel I had to clean all the time and discovered if you'll wait until you need 2 jugs (2.5g ea) you can use the supplied hose from one as a funnel while you fill with the other.

When parked for a period of time, we like to keep DEF full but NOT 100% filled if there will be freezing temps as we understand DEF can expand a bit if it freezes.
When leaving after parked for a long period of time, we like DEF to get as low as possible (assuming we are driving long enough to make this happen) so we can then refill with fresh DEF. Will fill until the pump goes off (truck stop pump fill, our DEF is immediately next to our fuel tank).
Coach age predates the rash of DEF header issues in past few years so we just want to keep DEF tank float sensor wet and avoid DEF aging too much.

Stuart, I've been filling from the drivers side via Truck Stops, wait till the pump stops and have yet to have any issues doing it this way.

I recall your setup had an option to DEF fill from either side of the coach. Does your 23 DSDP have this?
Yes both sides

Stuart, I've been filling from the drivers side via Truck Stops, wait till the pump stops and have yet to have any issues doing it this way.
Thank you , I believe that was a Spartan issue only

I filled mine at the tank cap today until the nozzle shut off. A few hours after returning home I noticed a puddle had formed under the tank so I assume there is a vent that burped out some DEF as the day warmed up. I will be keeping it down a few inches in the future.

I filled mine at the tank cap today until the nozzle shut off. A few hours after returning home I noticed a puddle had formed under the tank so I assume there is a vent that burped out some DEF as the day warmed up. I will be keeping it down a few inches in the future.
What chassis do you have?

I keep mine 1 bar above empty when storing. When driving, I will fill based on distance with goal of parking with very low levels.

This has worked well for me since 2012 on 2 freightliner and 1 spartan.

The key to Def is to keep it fresh.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back