Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How long between running generator while boondocking?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
We are picking up our new 4081 Dutch Star next weekend and driving it up to Nor Cal from LA. The following weekend we plan on a two day trip to the coast and plan to stay at a no hook up camp ground on the coast. I have spent many a night on the hook on our boats and figured out how long the batteries will support the load and planned accordingly to run the generator. I am wondering what we can expect with the 4081 with no solar (yet) with the main constant draw of the full size fridge/freezer. The Led lights and a TV for a few hours should not be a big draw. Just wondering what anyone with a newer similar coach experience is. I will have a week to load the coach and I will test the systems with no power applied for a day or so to get a good idea. It would be nice if one could only turn on the fridge and not use the freezer since we have a Dometic freezer in the basement locker that is probably more efficient.

Everyone's usage is different as you already know. We run our generator for about an hour in the morning while we make coffee and recharge from the night before. Then in the evening about 1.5 hours while we cook supper and recharge for the night. We set our AGS for 11.9 volts and 75 degrees and find that works for us. We looked at solar but found that most of the time seems the outside temps are above 85 degrees so we run the generator for AC which keeps the batteries charged. We have 6 AGS batteries.

@Rustymayes tell us more about your setup, how many batteries do you have and what type? For most of the Newmar's like yours the batteries last longer than you think, especially when new. It is important to set the AGS properly on your Magnum inverter control panel so that the gen will start automatically if needed. Watch the voltage and also your usage such as high draw devices such as Microwave when not on shore power.

When boon docking in the late spring to early fall time frame, we generally run our generator 2-2.5hrs in the am and 2.5 - 3hrs at night

Solar on the roof keeps the house batteries charged. That handles the lights, fridge, and blower on the furnace. Any overnight drawdown is fully recharged during the day.

The genny runs the A/C and microwave. The microwave is only a few minutes at a time. On hot summer days the A/C may be running a good part of the daylight hours.

Latest resources

Back