Question How many RV's have you owned?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
1st RV for us.

I grew up camping and have always loved it. A good part of that was in a tent.
As a teenager my parents bought a Jayco pop-up from an uncle so I guess that was our first camper.
Years later I bought a 5th wheel on a deer lease and had it until it literally fell apart.
After the kids were gone we bought a small travel trailer but it was smaller than I wanted.
We bought a big Jayco trailer and loved it until I ripped the side of it off in an accident.
Later we bought another TT from NIRVC in Lewisville, we had excellent service from them. We kept it for several years and I began working some out of it. So much better than hotels.
That grew into deciding to get a 5th wheel. We bought a FR CC and it was a horrible relationship between us and them. Never again
As business got better I wanted bigger and better and quickly realized I had moved into a different price bracket and a used MH was at or near a new 5th wheel and a new truck. Plus having a dually as my daily driver was not appealing in DFW.
We went back to NIRVC and found what we wanted, let me say they took the high road in everything, very impressed with them.
The difference from towing and driving is amazing. The MH is far and away better than what we thought it would be.

We are on #2. Started with a brand new, watched it being assembled in Nappanee Bay Star Sport 2705. That validated the "bug" for a semi-nomadic life. When I stumbled across a 2017 Ventana LE 4037, I could not resist. That's what we love now. However, there's always that upgrade dream in my eye. ?

Very much, still a "newbie" here! The DW was approaching retirement, and we decided to get a "motorhome" & see if we liked the "RV'ing" lifestyle. Did some research & decided that a Newmar was the coach to buy.
Found a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778, 38' coach. One owner & looked like new. A fantastic coach! So in October 2018, we took the plunge & bought it! I think it was the best buy I've ever made! We were ecstatic with it. After several short trips, we were on the way home from one, & started discussing travel after retirement. She commented about it would be nice to have a "new" one to make retirement trips & adventures. Didn't take me too long, and the new 2020 Newmar Canyon Star was on order!
In October 2019 we went to Napanee & spent the week doing "FPU"! What a great experience! We definitely have a great affinity for our Newmar!
We love our new coach, but sadly we have had to cancel several short trips, & was looking forward to the 2019 Newmar International in Wyoming. It would have been our first trip out west! We had planned on it being an 8-9 week trip! Guess when the "rona" is gone, we can get on the road again!
So....two coaches:
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778
2020 Newmar Canyon Star 3710

Attachments

• Cover Photo.jpg
    Cover Photo.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190727_131241.jpg
    20190727_131241.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 13
We started with a new 2006 minnie winnie class C. Traded it in and purchased a new 2019 Tiffin RED. Almost purchased a newmar, but didn’t like the dealer. Got a better price with the Tiffin.

This is our second Class A. We wanted a way to pull our Jeep to Moab and to to bring the dogs with us. We bought a 2004 Windsport with 45K miles for $20,000 as we wern't sure we were going to like the RV lifestyle. But we did, and unfortunately the V10 didn't perform as well as we had hoped. Sold that and bought the Tiffin W/Diesel and all the good stuff that a diesel brings.

I'm pretty sure that a new(er) model is in the future as well, but right now we're having fun with the one we have.

We've owned one so far.

2017 Newmar Canyon Star. Just sold last month. We are looking to upgrade to a DSDP after the lockdown and we sell our home. Goal is go FT. Hopefully, things will resume and our dreams will go forward.

We have owned only one to date new in 2018. The new 2021 CanyonStar with the diesel is of interest. The new CanyonStar has included almost every one of my " wish it had" list. Diesel power, extra GVWR 30k vs 26k, air ride, independent front suspension, air brakes, etc. For us a DP is just too much: size, money, operating cost, etc.

In 23 years of camping....
1968 Scamper popup
1983 30 ft Fleetwood Southwind MH
1995 36 ft Coachman Santara MH
1998 38 ft Dutch Star MH Freightliner
2000 40 ft Mountain Aire MH Spartan
2006 42 ft Travel Supreme MH Spartan
2012 43 ft Mountain Aire MH Freightliner

We are on our second we started with a Class C in our 30’s after renting many to go to car races only. We weren’t campers we just wanted the ease of not having to pay through our noses for hotels rooms and sitting in traffic for hours. Not to mention the exchange rate for all costs associated.

After scouring the RV traders weekly I would be begging my husband to buy one instead of having a corvette sitting under blankets albeit sunny days? He only wanted a class A and that was out of our price range at the time. I would race out each Friday morning to buy the RV trader as internet was just becoming a thing (in my world anyway) I would go through it first while doing so I would leave notes on the ones I wished for hubby to ponder. He would get to look second?

In the meantime our good friend a single lady owned a Class C that she would store at our house and have all maintenance done with my husbands work and in return we would use it to go to races instead of having to rent one.

On one of these trips doesn’t the tranny act up in her motorhome and we were stranded overnight and not getting to our vacation spot. We ended up getting going but all the way home I was griping how we had to pay for a new transmission and it not even being ours not to mention our whole vacation scrapped.

It ended up just being a transmission linkage.

We were home and within an hour he referred to one of my notes in the RV trader and said “call that guy to see if we can go look at that motorhome”. I thought I died and went to heaven.

We went and looked at it, it was perfect at the time. It was a 1997 Georgie Boy Maverick, 31 Feet no slides, 3 yrs old and we could pay cash in replace of the rag top Corvette that was sitting under blankets. Just perfect! Turquoise paint on the bottom half to boot. Yeehaw!

Moving along I think maybe 3 yrs we started becoming campers instead of two times a year to NASCAR races. Well the Class C with no slides started to become quite cramped and the dam neighbours would pull in in their Class A’s. The stars were in my eyes. I was out at lunch one day and decided I would just go look at the dealers down the way. Well didn’t I hit the jackpot, the salesman just started that day after being layed off from Nortel and didn’t he divulge the markup on new ones to me. Wow!

Well our current one is the one I made a deal on the day after and it didn’t take too much convincing this time on my part. No love notes were required! It is a 2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit, nothing fancy, certainly not top of the line but within the budget and brand new. The damn thing has been hand washed and dried after each use with MY help and bickering. Did I mention “He” is anal?

Fast forward 17 yrs later the damn thing is still in perfect condition and those neighbours with the big diesel pushers keep pulling in and the stars in my eyes are twinkling. Back to square 1!

I am currently working on him but time’s have changed to the complete opposite. “MY” wants far exceed ”HIS” budget. He has just retired and I’m still working.

I do have a way of convincing him and if it wasn’t for COVID and us not being able to cross the border I may have succeeded by now but you know...

With all of what has happened in 2020 I just hope we all make it through this BS and be able to eat everyday and do the things we love while being safe to do so. Either of which I have been doubting allot lately. A diesel pusher in the yard is the last of my worries.

At this rate I will take what I have and just be happy to get across the border and do the things we normally do with our old girl that still looks and acts new! That in itself will be a true blessing.

Latest resources

Back