RV Model
Lantern 263BH
RV Length
30.7 ft.
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4X4 5.7 bed
Fulltimer
No
Just curious, is there a general consensus on how secure you should make your campsite when leaving temporarily? For example: trips to the grocery store, taking the kayaks our for the day, etc. Do folks lock up their camp chairs, gas grills, etc?
My wife and I are new to RV-ing, but not camping. I've always made it a policy to put stuff away and make the campsite as secure as possible back in our tenting days.
But we went to a campsite last weekend with our new travel trailer for its shakedown cruise, and I noticed a lot of people were leaving for the day with grills and smokers left out, chairs, etc. Didn't hear of anyone having anything stolen or anything like that. Just wondering what's the norm for people to leave laying about, and what to stow away in the trailer. Of course I do lock the trailer when we leave.

When we leave the site we only leave 2 things unsecured, our 2 outdoor chairs. But then, that is about all that we ever have outside (besides some flip-flops and trashcan. We don't carry all the "extras" that so many do.

We only put those chairs away when storms come through or when we are packing up to leave.

Normally secure things for possible weather that might come while gone. Bikes (e-bikes) are locked and covered when not in use.

We typically put away anything that can walk. If we put out the carpet, that will generally stay out. Everything else is packed away when we leave the campsite

While in transit I usually down take anything out, even if there for a couple days. If there for a week or two I'll put the rug, chairs and table out - things that are not valuable to kids. I lock at least the bolt since I hear so many reports of getting locked out by a failure of the regular lock.

It depends where were at. I'll usually leave out chairs, table, camp stove, stuff like that. But bikes and baggage doors get locked. If it's someplace that looks conducive to non-RV people going through the park, I leave out less.

If we are in a site for more than two days we will have a patio set up with chairs, solar lights, WeberQ electric grill, and chairs. We don't put anything away or lock anything down when away for the day or during the night. So far we have never had anything stolen. Many times I don't even lock my storage compartments.

As far as locking the RV and my vehicle I am just the opposite. They stay locked all the time unless we are on site.

I have tent camped, travel trailer and 5th wheel over the years. Rarely ever locked anything up and always felt secure. As we all know most campers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Things have changed and again like a lot of people have said it is people coming through a campsite looking for a quick score. Finally retired and bought a used motor home and will be traveling/camping a lot more. Guess I will have to be a little more vigilant on keeping things locked. Last week I sit my Blackstone on the picnic table all week day and night. Would have been heartbroken if that had got gone. Unfortunately some people have gotten this way. Still have to believe most the most part campers are really nice people.

Latest resources

Back