Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jbstevens

RVF Regular
Bought a 10' popup camper and I am having trouble backing it up. Is there a way to learn to backup the camper and improve my skills? Please help

I learned to back trailers 40 yr ago by placing my hand at the 6 o’clock position on the steering wheel and then moving my hand in the direction I wanted the trailer to go.

Find an empty parking lot and practice.

We setup up cones in a parking lot and that was where I learned. My first pop up was about that size of yours

Short trailers react to steering quicker than longer framed trailers. (i.e., a little movement will result in a big directional change in the trailer.) So don't over-correct. but as stated above, it's really just about practice. Go to a church parking lot on a Monday and simply practice without the stress of a crowd. Of course, go to church on Sunday without the trailer and you'll be at peace on Monday 😉 Blessings

Another trick you can use: when attempting to back up in a straight line, turn the top of the wheel towards the mirror you see the trailer in. This will put the trailer back behind you. Watch both mirrors and keep at this - soon you will be backing straight almost instinctively. As mentioned above, short trailers react much more quickly to input so they are more difficult to back. It would also help to have a spotter for the corner(s) you can’t see in your mirrors.

Practice, practice, practice. Took me a while to get the hang of backing my 10' popup. The first thing is if you put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. So, the wheel turns to the right (your hand goes left) to start the trailer turning to the left. Make small changes and back up slowly, a little goes a long way. Once the trailer starts in the direction you want to go, start turning the wheel the other way so you follow the trailer around. Again, a little change goes a long way.

Watch out for front fenders too, as you're watching where the trailer is going behind you, don't hit something with your fenders.

Another trick you can use: when attempting to back up in a straight line, turn the top of the wheel towards the mirror you see the trailer in. This will put the trailer back behind you. Watch both mirrors and keep at this - soon you will be backing straight almost instinctively. As mentioned above, short trailers react much more quickly to input so they are more difficult to back. It would also help to have a spotter for the corner(s) you can’t see in your mirrors.
To add to this: when backing my 28 ft trailer in a straight line, I generally only have to make small adjustments to the steering wheel (1/4 turn or so). You should need even less than that with such a small trailer.

Also, learn the pivot point on your trailer, again by practicing with cones in a big empty parking lot. On mine, if trying to do a 90 degree turn in reverse, if I start turning when the back of my trailer is at the edge of the spot I want to go into, that will put me right in the middle once I'm turned.

Don't be afraid to pull forward to straighten out and line the trailer up again as often as you need to.

Put a bracket center back with a safety whip you can remove. Then you can see where the back of the camper is. It just takes a little over correction to crash the camper into the vehicle.

Lots of good ideas, this is what worked for me.

Pick the one you like best. Like most things, it takes longer to explain it than do it.

One step at a time. “Go slow and your get in trouble slow”. Meaning you will have time to see if you are going to hit something. Also get out and look, couple times if you need to.

The two basic moves will be straight backing and backing while turning.
Side mirrors only, a thin slice of your truck anchors where your looking. It will be easier to use and turn on your left side at first.

You want to be able to see the side of your truck, trailer tires, line or spot on the ground (much like the sight picture if you hunt.) All lined up.

Straight backing. Go to an empty parking lot with lined parking spots.
Start with rig straight lined up with the site (parking spot).
Pick an edge of the pad, clump of grass, line or seam in the asphalt to use to line up with. At first just pull forward without turning the wheel then back up without turning the wheel. Do it several times. Goal is to see what your tires do next to the line, try not to cross it.

Your goal is to use your mirror to see the trailer tire slowly stay next to the line but not cross it. Keep the tire a few inches from the line as you back up and pull forward. Go slow and see it.

Go slow. Use hand at bottom of wheel to free your brain. (Hand moves a little right - back of trailer moves a little right). Small movements, which is why its best to start straight, then learn turning while backing.

Practice straight backing with a line next to your tires. Imagine a line if you need to but a real line will make it much easier.

When you pull forward, notice how far your trailer tires are from the curb, line, seam or edge you picked out. Look into the mirrors, drive back and forth until you understand how the steering wheel movement moves the trailer. Remember when turning, the trailer tires will turn inside your truck. This means if your turck tires just miss the curb, your trailer tires will hit it.

You have to keep your truck a little farther out but see the trailer tires as they turn around an object or mark in the road. Once you see how the trailer turns going forward, use that to learn to back while turning.

When you learn your turning radius, you will be able to pick a spot like a crack in the road, clump of grass, oil stain and be able to turn around that mark as you back up. If it disappears in your mirrors stop and find it again by moving forward then try again.

This is all practice before you get to the RV park. Make it fun in a parking lot.

You will get it, we all did at one time. Cheers.

Latest resources

Back