Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to drain black tank with a broken valve.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Webz

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
My neighbor has an ACE class A that has a broken drain valve for her black tank. The valve stem moves out all the way but not in all the way. I believe the valve is stuck. Nothing leaks no matter how the vale is positioned. The problem is how to drain the black tank so I can replace the valve. Any suggestions?
Thanks

You could try the process of drilling a hole to lubricate it and hope you can get it open otherwise I think you're in for a mell of a hess.

Hoping for a better solution:( But it looks like that is not going to happen.

Assuming this is a slide valve, and that the stem pulls out fully, it sounds like the stem has become disconnected from the slide. Have you tried screwing the stem back in by turning the handle clockwise while pressing inward? It might take a little moving around to get the shaft started in the hole, but if it has just unscrewed, it might just be a simple reconnection that’s needed.

OTOH, it the stem has pulled out of the slide or has broken out the threaded section, you will need to find a way to manually open the slide or remove the valve. That will be a messy job. Put some kind of plastic container under the valve and outlet, and hope for the best. Whatever happens, it will clean up!

TJ

Last edited:
Tried screwing the valve stem back in but no luck. The stem does not come out of the housing but moves full travel out. Think the plastic screw in piece is broke off. I believe she tried to empty the tank when it was -6 outside and everything was frozen.
Told her to call her extended warranty provider prior to taking it to a shop. The only silver lining is she can stay at her daughters during the repair.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tried screwing the valve stem back in but no luck. The stem does not come out of the housing but moves full travel out. Think the plastic screw in piece is broke off. I believe she tried to empty the tank when it was -6 outside and everything was frozen. .
Yep, that would do it! Good luck to her in getting it fixed.

TJ

I guess and hope she used chemicals in it. Could buy a small pump at hard where store and pump the water out in buckets from inside. You should be able to get most to all out. Then you could cut the old drain off. You should expect a little to come out.

Latest resources

Back