Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To How to I make my Generator or ATS Neutral bonded?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jespo27

RVF Newbee
How to I make my Generator or ATS Neutral bonded?

I want to install the Progressive Industries hard wired 30 amp surge protector on my RV . My Generator is a cummins onan RVQG 4000 with a southwire surge guard ATS # 41300. I was told by onan that my generator is not neutral bonded. I called progressive industries and was told their hard wired 30 amp surge protector would not provide all features unless generator was neutral bonded. What i understand so far is that the Prog Ind surge protector should be installed before the ATS. What I do not know is how do i create a neutral bond for the generator , or possibly the Auto transfer switch (which is more accessible and preferred by me) so I can access all features of surge protector. My generator has no plugs on it , as the progressive tech said if it had , I could use a dongle to accomplish neutral bond. I have searched this site and google, you tubed and have not found a definitive way to do this.
Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the generator or emailing them. For example I found information online for mine that was said to have been acquired from the manufacturer explaining how to remove the neutral bond or restore it on my generator, depending on whether or not I was using it to power my home’s electric panel (breaker box) or an on the job site application to run equipment with extension cords. I just had to remove two bolts, a cover and a jumper wire to make it a floating neutral for my home (for home application there can only be one neutral bond at the panel). Just curious, if not, try to email the manufacturer to see if they can give you instructions on how to alter it, or at least be told it is not possible or safe to do so.

Just my two-cents

Latest resources

Back