Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Sgasco

RVF Regular
I posted this topic previously and two fine people tried to help, but still no answer. I’m sure that someone has removed these fasteners before. Hopefully they will see this post. I’m trying to remove these three fasteners so I can remove the doghouse to sound insulate it. I’m including pictures this time.
A83D4B93-D811-4907-8990-028D29799D6C.jpeg
CD1DABB8-D987-453B-B213-8F83753B76F9.jpeg

I would be very appreciative if someone has an answer for me. I have searched the internet and even called the dealer.

First I will find the right size Allen key tool. Then tap the screw with few sharp taps with a small hammer or something similar .
Not a big or heavy hammer. You want to break it loose if there ( more likely is) rust on the threads.
Than try to turn it.

Thank you Buly for your answer. These Allen head screws (not sure if it is really a screw, likely not) turn easily but don’t back out. They are inserted into a rubber piece and seem to be 1.5 to 2 inches long. Sorry for not explaining better.

Than try something else. Tape around the screw so not to mark the cover. Use something to apply pulling force to the screw and turn it at the same time. Maybe a thin flat screwdriver to lift while turning. I had to do it on stripped thread screws.
Just an idea?

Thank you again Buly for trying to help me. I used a flat prybar and while I tried to pry the screw head up I use my drill in reverse to no result. I think it is a special kind of rubber fastener, and there is no rust causing a problem I am pretty sure of that. Thanks again

I have a 2019 Pursuit and have made the repair you're attempting. They are screws, mine backed out fine, so i don't know what that problem is. Once you get it opened up you will find that only the top of engine cover is insulated, nothing around the edges or the sides of the cowling, I cut to fit a foam insulation that has a foil cover, it is used for car hoods.
I just went out to refresh my memory. They screw into a rubber grommet with a threaded brass insert. You have to get something to pry between the engine cover and the cowling, to put pressure on the grommet so it won't spin in the hole.

Last edited:
You may want to try to get a look at this from underneath the vehicle. Granted the engine transmission are in the way but can use a bore scope or even the phone camera to see what is happening on the fastener side.

Latest resources

Back