• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jtcarm

RVF Newbee
Howdy from a complete noob in Texas.

I am in search of an education on toy haulers.

I didn’t know there was such a thing until my gear-head BIL passed recently. I’m being offered his 2000 20’ Gator for $2,000, but it’s in obvious need of a good bit of sweat equity, so IDK if I want to mess with it. It’s has a roof leak and some water damage. I can’t confirm if the AC & fridge work, AC being a must-have in Texas. I could probably get it for $1,500.

Anyway, now that I’ve discovered them, I’ve decided that could be the perfect solution for storage & sleeping on some rural property I own. The property has no electric or water, and it would be parked there full-time. Wife & I might hit the road in it once in a blue moom

A 20-footer would more than meet my needs, which are;
Room for a 4-wheel ATV and some tools.
Air conditioning + good ventilation.
Weather/vermin-proof as possible.
Lighting.
Room to sleep 3-4 people at most (just me, most of the time.)
Important: Ramp can be raised/lowered by one old guy (guess who?)

Kitchen and bath would be nice to have, in that order, but not required.

Thanks, and looking forward to learning!

Howdy from a complete noob in Texas.

I am in search of an education on toy haulers.

I didn’t know there was such a thing until my gear-head BIL passed recently. I’m being offered his 2000 20’ Gator for $2,000, but it’s in obvious need of a good bit of sweat equity, so IDK if I want to mess with it. It’s has a roof leak and some water damage. I can’t confirm if the AC & fridge work, AC being a must-have in Texas. I could probably get it for $1,500.

Anyway, now that I’ve discovered them, I’ve decided that could be the perfect solution for storage & sleeping on some rural property I own. The property has no electric or water, and it would be parked there full-time. Wife & I might hit the road in it once in a blue moom

A 20-footer would more than meet my needs, which are;
Room for a 4-wheel ATV and some tools.
Air conditioning + good ventilation.
Weather/vermin-proof as possible.
Lighting.
Room to sleep 3-4 people at most (just me, most of the time.)
Important: Ramp can be raised/lowered by one old guy (guess who?)

Kitchen and bath would be nice to have, in that order, but not required.

Thanks, and looking forward to learning!
Welcome from Ely, Iowa.
My biggest concern would be the water leak. This is not a show stopper if it has not caused extreme damage. Pretty easy to check out the AC and fridge once you can power it up. You will need a generator if there is not one on board already.

I am kind of a go for it guy who does all my own repairs and remodels. I Would take a close look at it and probably go for it. I have wasted more money for dumber stuff in my life. Ask my wife of 48 years and she will agree on that point.

Welcome from Ely, Iowa.
My biggest concern would be the water leak. This is not a show stopper if it has not caused extreme damage. Pretty easy to check out the AC and fridge once you can power it up. You will need a generator if there is not one on board already.

I am kind of a go for it guy who does all my own repairs and remodels. I Would take a close look at it and probably go for it. I have wasted more money for dumber stuff in my life. Ask my wife of 48 years and she will agree on that point.
Thanks.

What would you recommend for the roof repair?

Thanks.

What would you recommend for the roof repair?
I would have to know what the roof is made of! 23 years on an unmaintained rubber roof is a major liability. Aluminum would be an easy fix. You really need to inspect the roof before you jump. After the inspection, we can offer a solution.

Latest resources

Back