• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Hugging highways (freeways for lefties)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I like interstates for the rest areas and travel centers for fuel, we tend to stay at good ol' KOA's, never disappointed, no worries about other trucks, etc. Our daughter loves the road noise, it puts her to sleep. I take my hearing aids out, DW can sleep through a tornado...

I do not know if this is common knowledge. The Ohio turnpike going west where the actual route changes from Interstate 76 to Interstate 80 has RV parking at every other service plaza for Recreational Vehicles. Most toads need to be unhooked and parked along side. The charge for electric is $20. You get a receipt at the vending machine and you tape it to your windshield.
It is very handy for destination-oriented travelers. You never have to get off route. Your stays can me somewhat noisy.

I do not know if this is common knowledge. The Ohio turnpike going west where the actual route changes from Interstate 76 to Interstate 80 has RV parking at every other service plaza for Recreational Vehicles. Most toads need to be unhooked and parked along side. The charge for electric is $20. You get a receipt at the vending machine and you tape it to your windshield.

It is very handy for destination-oriented travelers. You never have to get off route. Your stays can me somewhat noisy.
This is the one thing I like about the turnpike system - the service plazas. Even the ones that don’t have designated RV parking ususally have room to overnight, they have good law enforcement presence, and of course, fuel and food (and morning coffee). I always look at them on google maps first to get an idea of where I want to park, and if possible go all the way to the far end of the parking area, on the outter edge where I can walk the dogs and its relatively quiet.

turnpikes are great because there is usually less traffic versus the interstate but I thought overnight at a service plaza is only allowed in very few states? For instance, I read that staying overnight on the Florida turnpike is not allowed? Is there a resource that can be used for verification?

turnpikes are great because there is usually less traffic versus the interstate but I thought overnight at a service plaza is only allowed in very few states? For instance, I read that staying overnight on the Florida turnpike is not allowed? Is there a resource that can be used for verification?
You know, in 2008 after I built my second teardrop, I used the Florida system. Same rules applied that you stated. There was a guard on duty, and I questioned him about the sign. Seems the law came in effect due to a rash of RVer murders, and robberies.
However, as stated earlier in another post, I sleep with the door open, I asked if we could sleep the night.
The guard looked around and asked what we would be sleeping in. I pointed out our teardrop, and he laughed!
He responded by saying h#*l!!! No one would even know you were in that thing, can you really sleep in that? And then said we'll keep our eyes on you!!!

So can you! Yes, maybe!!!
If you do what happens, you must accept the consequences.

Never tried it in Florida, but have from Ohio to NH and never had an issue.

Latest resources

Back