RV Make
Gulf Stream
RV Model
Envision SVT21QBS
RV Length
22' 6"
Fulltimer
No
I'm attempting to set up dual batteries in my trailer a-frame area with limited space. My Husky WDH lift brackets occupy the same space as the current battery hold area. I could gain enough space if I shortened the bolts on the inside of the brackets, and then moved the brackets outward by putting a spacer on the outside of the a-frame (between the brackets and a-frame, held in place with bolts). Essentially, I'd be moving the brackets over so they are flush with the inside of the a-frame, and the bolt on the inside would be shortened enough to clear the battery - if that makes sense. Has anyone done this? See any problems with altering the WDH, as long as the lift chain is centered on the bracket? Any input would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20211005_193550747_iOS.jpg
    20211005_193550747_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
I would be more apt to shorten the bolts on the bracket but not put a spacer to move it out. it is a torque issue. If I needed more space I would modify the battery mount by placing it on the top of the A frame.

Have I done such a thing? Yes I have.

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, that was my original plan. I even rounded up some angle iron to do just that (old bed frame). Too bad they don't make a bracket sized for my frame. I might have to elevate the battery further (in addition to putting it on top of the a-frame) to clear the lift brackets. Thats how limited on space I am. I'll play around with it a bit before I make a decision.

I had to move my lift brackets about 1/4" forward to make it all work. There is just 1/4" space between the battery box top and the trailer, and I'll have to route the wires out the front of the box (the lid would hit otherwise). The lift bracket just touches the angle iron. I'm thinking (hoping) this should not cause the lift chain to be off center too much. I'll hook up the trailer and WDH to the truck to see how things look before welding.

Attachments

• 20211006_232618533_iOS.jpg
    20211006_232618533_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
caution:
weld only to the side of the frame. My chains don't match up on center line.
The way I mounted batteries on my cargo trailer was to put the batteries below the floor between the axles. With a hatch I cut in the floor for access.

caution:
weld only to the side of the frame. My chains don't match up on center line.
The way I mounted batteries on my cargo trailer was to put the batteries below the floor between the axles. With a hatch I cut in the floor for access.
Is that so I won't end up with raised areas from the welds, or does welding on top of the frame weaken it somehow? Good to know my chains don't need to be perfectly centered. Not quite ready to cut a hole in my new floor :) Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back