Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Alex444

RVF Regular
Hi all! Almost 4 weeks into a cross country road trip in a new-to-us 2007 Newmar Allstar. A couple of days ago the coach wouldn’t start... but I was getting electrical to the dash etc. Tracked a blown ignition solenoid fuse... and it blows repeatedly when I try to start it up. I can jump the solenoid... either by connecting the two power terminals with a screwdriver -or- by connecting the ignition wire with the hot battery wire, both when the key is in the “on” position.

It is a standalone, momentary solenoid not attached to the starter. I bought a new 12v solenoid from NAPA, wired it all up, and it worked great... for 24 hours. I probably started it with no trouble at all about a dozen times in that time frame... but now I’m blowing the fuse again and can only start it via hot wiring.

Anyone know what could be the trouble and how I can fix? I’m really close to just bypassing it altogether and getting a push button start and wiring it up to the cab! But that wouldn’t track the underlying problem.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know if this applies to your coach or not, but that solenoid is a known problem area on that vintage Spartan chassis. I went thru two in one week. I carry two spares now.

The symptoms I was having was if I turned the ignition, the dash would light up as it should, but there was absolutely nothing from the engine compartment. Aside from the solenoid being a problem child, on my coach it was mounted in an area that completely exposed it to weather and the terminals would corrode and require constant maintenance. I eventually moved it inside one of the basement compartments.

I would look for a short in the wire from fuse to the end of the line. More likely after the keyswitch. You likely moved the wire that is shorted when installing the new solenoid.

I don’t know if this applies to your coach or not, but that solenoid is a known problem area on that vintage Spartan chassis. I went thru two in one week. I carry two spares now.

The symptoms I was having was if I turned the ignition, the dash would light up as it should, but there was absolutely nothing from the engine compartment. Aside from the solenoid being a problem child, on my coach it was mounted in an area that completely exposed it to weather and the terminals would corrode and require constant maintenance. I eventually moved it inside one of the basement compartments.

Thanks - yes, I think this is the issue - I'm having the same symptoms. Hearing your experience makes me even more likely to just bypass it altogether and run a push button start up to the dash. Thanks for your reply!

I would look for a short in the wire from fuse to the end of the line. More likely after the keyswitch. You likely moved the wire that is shorted when installing the new solenoid.

Thanks - I will try that but this thing is BURIED and its nearly impossible to track where the wires go.

Latest resources

Back