Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Ignorance is Bliss - using a Black Light in AZ?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Okay, I bought a UV (black) light as I'm spending the winter in AZ exploring south to north end to end. Obviously the black light shows the scorpions. I got it but I'm hesitant to actually use it - ignorance is bliss! What should I do? Use it or not??? What would YOU do???

blacklight.png

We lived in Scottsdale, Arizona, in the early 70s and didn't find scorpions to be a major issue. It might be different out in the open desert.

You quickly learn to check your shoes before sticking your feet into them and to shake out things that are on the floor or otherwise accessible to the critters. (Those things probably shouldn't be on the floor anyway). We're outdoor folks and never found huge infestations of scorpions anywhere we went. Now, if you are into turning over rocks and logs, you might find more of them than we did.

My take on the black light is that it may just make you feel less secure rather than more. If you are constantly looking for scorpions, you will probably find them. There are all kinds of critters in this world that can be potentially hazardous; snakes, spiders, bees and wasps, scorpions and all the rest. If you feel the need to equip yourself against all contact with any of them, you will be loaded down to the point where you won't be able to move.

Just use a little common sense and keep your eyes open. Learn about habitats that support these critters and do your best to avoid or eliminate them.

TJ

Good points TJ. I think the UV light may be something for fun the day before I leave :)

Neal,

We lived in bliss, in S. FL until our son, Christopher, showed us something. If you hold an led flashlight against your temple...to get your flashlight beam as close as you can to your line of sight. Then point it into the lawn at night. All these little silver beads light up. Spiders. Thousands and thousands of tiny little spiders nestled in the grass.

Took a while to go out barefoot again...

Just don’t take it into the bathhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back