Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

siggy

RVF Regular
I Just purchased a Grand Design 17MKE with a solar panel. Question what battery is best for my system? AGM or Lithium and a good brand would help.
Thanks Siggy

If your solar charger can be configured for such, then Lithium would be best. Battleborn is a very good reputable battery brand. If you are always or almost always camped at a site with electricity, then AGM will save you some $$.

Bob

Agreed on the lithium battery but some such as the Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo) types can't be recharged below a freezing temperature. I've also got a 20 amp hour LiFePo from a Chinese company called "Hailong" that I've been using in a solar panel amateur radio application here at home that I'm not thrilled about.

Its light as a feather as far as batteries weigh and was not that expensive at about 90 dollars. But its not the most durable as far as its capacity to deliver amps. I try to keep my demands on it reasonable at less than 25 watts output on my HF radio but it still suffers to deliver what I need.

LiFePo batteries also need a special recharging profile that most chargers can't do. My particular charge controller supports these batteries - "Epic Power Gate" from West Mountain Radio - but check yours before going with a lithium battery.

Rick

Latest resources

Back