Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Which isn't really a plate, just a couple of arms that replace the tow hooks in our 2018 GMC. As simple as that seems, it is not! The grill has to come off, so does the bumper. A couple of holes need to be drilled through the frame of the truck, and a whole lot of irritation as you try to make sense of the ridiculous directions.

It took me a good 8 hours, but I'm sure I could do it again in 3-3.5 hrs. This is a job, that if you can find a mechanic, you should turn over to him. I wasn't able to find anyone on short notice, so it was up to me.

Tomorrow morning we'll head for Nappanee to pick up our coach. If the truck is still behind the coach when we get home, we'll call the install a success!

At least you know it’s done correctly.

Which isn't really a plate, just a couple of arms that replace the tow hooks in our 2018 GMC. As simple as that seems, it is not! The grill has to come off, so does the bumper. A couple of holes need to be drilled through the frame of the truck, and a whole lot of irritation as you try to make sense of the ridiculous directions.

It took me a good 8 hours, but I'm sure I could do it again in 3-3.5 hrs. This is a job, that if you can find a mechanic, you should turn over to him. I wasn't able to find anyone on short notice, so it was up to me.

Tomorrow morning we'll head for Nappanee to pick up our coach. If the truck is still behind the coach when we get home, we'll call the install a success!
Have a great trip to Nappanee!

Be safe Jim, and let me know how things turn out with your coach. Things are still up in the air with my dilemma that you know about, but at least we're trying to come up with a compromise.

Just check the rear view cam every now and then to make sure its still there. What are you using to control the brakes?

@Jim yep I hear you loud and clear on base plate installations. Oh you can do it yourself it's not that hard. Nope I learned my lesson years ago ....LOL

Glad you got it sorted out.

HH

I installed mine on my canyon and was glad that I have a lift in the shop. I installed a remote battery cut off as well. After towing the canyon on several trips now I am really happy with how well the system works. I was happy to save the installation costs as well as knowing it is done well and the truck is all put back together correctly afterwards. Have a great trip!

For future reference, almost any body shop can install the baseplate. I had my Blue Ox installed on my 2018 Canyon by a body shop in less than 2 hours.

Latest resources

Back