Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Steve M.

RVF Newbee
I currently have insurance on our 2014 Winnebago Access from National General. I've been looking at alternatives and have found a much less expensive policy from AAA with all the same coverages and limits. The lower premium reflects bundling car, home and RV insurances with AAA. Does anyone have AAA coverage for their motorhome and, if you've had to file a claim, what was your experience? Thanks.

I've never had AAA for insurance. But let me relate my recent experience with National General.

We have used National General (through Good Sams) for probably 10 or 11 years to cover our RVs. With our recent change from the Newmar to the fiver we called to change coverage. Our car and motorcycle have been with Progressive for several years.

National General would not give us a policy for the new fiver. There reasoning was that two years ago we had a claim for a windshield on the Newmar that cost them $3,600, plus they were somehow able to see a Progressive claim where our car was severely damaged by hail about 18 months ago. Because of these two claims, one of which was not even through their company, they refused to offer us a new policy. So much for taking care of your long time customers.

We went with Progressive and bundled everything. It turned out a better cheaper option for us anyway.

Progressive also for our RV.

I've never had AAA for insurance. But let me relate my recent experience with National General.

We have used National General (through Good Sams) for probably 10 or 11 years to cover our RVs. With our recent change from the Newmar to the fiver we called to change coverage. Our car and motorcycle have been with Progressive for several years.

National General would not give us a policy for the new fiver. There reasoning was that two years ago we had a claim for a windshield on the Newmar that cost them $3,600, plus they were somehow able to see a Progressive claim where our car was severely damaged by hail about 18 months ago. Because of these two claims, one of which was not even through their company, they refused to offer us a new policy. So much for taking care of your long time customers.

We went with Progressive and bundled everything. It turned out a better cheaper option for us anyway.
Isn't that why one buys insurance? If you cannot have any claims, the insurance is useless.

Good Sams, Camping World, Gander Outdoors, and whatever other name they are calling some of their businesses this week, are all getting to be a joke IMHO.

We have stayed Good Sams members for almost 14 years to get camping discounts plus most of that time we had National General Insurance on our RVs. Now the only benefit is a camping discount once and awhile and those are getting few and far between. May be time to more on from Good Sams all together.

Foremost via Overland Insurance was the cheapest for us. A week ago, I got a quote from Brown & Brown which gave me a quote from Progressive which was slightly cheaper but not quite enough to go through the hassle of switching.

I have Allstate. Everything I have is with Allstate. They've been good to me so far.

I had allstate for years. When I put everything in storage and we started cruising the agent told me if I dropped the insurance, when we came back my insurance would reflect that I had been an uninsured motorist. Well they bad, I'm now with progressive and have been for more years than I was with allstate.

@MapNerd saved me a bunch of money on my insurance and I didn't even switch to Geico! I used Overland, which is a broker, they found Safeco was best for me and I switched from National General which jumped up 33% for no reason, no claims (other than one windshield).

That reminds me, I never received my commission @Neal

Latest resources

Back