Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, The Newmar I just bought has a KIB touch control panel to operate and monitor the HVAC systems, the tank levels and AGS functions and a Touch 50 panel that monitors and displays the electrical loads. The Touch 50 displays data through a Gerbo GX portal that I can also monitor via the internet on my I phone. The question that I have is will the KIB play with the Gerbo GX so that I can monitor and control the HVAC systems remotely. I know that Vic Tron sells tank monitors and other system sensors to use thru the Gerbo GX. Just wondering if KIB systems are compatible. Has anyone done this integration on their coach?
Thanks

I’m watching this because I don’t know much about KIB stuff, but my guess is there is no hope of integrating the two systems. It may be possible for the Cerbo GX to use the existing tank sensors, it can probably control the HVAC, and it can certainly handle AGS, but if the KIB is doing that job adequately there wouldn't be much reason to go to the trouble. If the KIB system fails, it might be worth trying to use the Victron system for monitoring and controls rather than replacing the KIB unit.

They could have set it up from the factory to use the Cerbo GX to control everything but my guess is that they are so deep into it with KIB that the idea either never occurred to them or it was too much trouble/expense to make the switch. So you have redundant capability, as you’ve realized, but I’m not sure its much use to you.

I also don’t think you find anyone with experience in this area as your 2022 is the first I’ve ever seen with OE Victron equipment, one of the few since there were both Magnum and Victron in 2022, and possibly the last since the 2023 models went back to Magnum. I think you may have just been lucky to buy a rig that was built during a Magnum supply shortage. It would be interesting to find out if that is the case, if using Victron was an experiment, or if there was some other rationale for the change.

I will assume that the only way is if you have a 3rd party control system that talks KIB and also talks Cerbo and integrates both functions and data into one control system. Our myServer 6 system hopes to do this with KIB but I don't know anything about Cerbo. If Cerbo "talks" RV-C communication, then myServer likely will replace Cerbo functionality so you then get the integration.

The learned lesson is you need an end goal (integrated systems?) and a path to get there before buying or installing anything. Nothing communicates with everything. Products like our myServer system strives to achieve this more than any other, but it's still at the begining for RV specific products like KIB and Cerbo. We integrate with thousands of media devices, and lighting, etc and are just now thinking in depth about RV proprietary stuff.

I felt like it was a major accomplishment to get my chart plotter, radar, sonar, and electronic compass all to cooperate and overlap on one screen in 2006 operating on a Panasonic Toughbook. I don’t recall specifically, but I think they all spoke the same language or it would have been impossible. I brought all the components to the boat with that goal in mind - it had only basic electronics when I bought it in 2002.

I felt like it was a major accomplishment to get my chart plotter, radar, and electronic compass all to cooperate and overlap on one screen in 2006 operating on a Panasonic Toughbook. I don’t recall specifically, but I think they all spoke the same language or it would have been impossible.
Yup, that all sounds like NMEA2000 protocol stuff. (marine nav)

Once our myServer 6 controller talks J1939 (this weeks task), then NMEA2000 runs ontop of that....so that would be more workie to do, but technically possible.

Right NMEA - it’s coming back to me now.

Latest resources

Back