Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

latech

RVF Regular
I have a 1.7 Cu Ft fridge. I want to power it with an inverter while driving to keep a few drinks and cold cuts fresh for stops and such.

I know it uses about 95 watts to run and pobably 3 times that much to start,or more.

Has Anyone here done this setup in ther coach? I am on the fence about how big of an inverter to buy. I am sure a 700 watt would do the job, but is there a smaller one you have used for this type of thing that works equally as well

If it only pulls 95W than a 350W should suffice. I had a small freezer in the back of my pickup on a 450W and it ran for three days without an issue.

I did same thing on previous coach with outside kitchen mini fridge. Started with the 350w but soon found other things I wanted to run while boondocking. Swapped the 350 for a 2000w, not that much more expensive and gave me a lot more capability. My 2 cents

300 watt inverter I got wont start or run it. It has a 600 watt surge. still not enough muscle to start the dam thing

Last edited:
We went through this same process and found that we needed a pure sine wave inverter to make it work.

Locked rotor may require 10 times running watts. 950 watts minimum for reliable service.
950 ÷ 12 = 79 Amps. Wire size if short 6 or 4 AWG. I put an inverter on top of my AGM in the truck. I used a 1500w true sine inverter in that case. Refrigerator used 3.4cf

On my kwick Kamp I had a 3cf on the tong running it on 100w of solar and a 1000w inverter.
that said, I have had trouble with a 6cf and a 2000w inverter. Yet I am running a 7cf frig and 5cf freezer on 1800w inverter. What I am trying to say is that the bigger the inverter the more confident you will be with the fridge.

OK. Good real life info.Thats what I needed. I guessed a 600 watt surge would have been enough
Now I just need to find a use for the 300 watt job I bought.LOL

I guess I should get a bigger inverter.May as well get a bigger fridge too ;)
Thank you for posting the info.

Last edited:
If you get a bigger fridge pay attention to the EER (electric energy rating). Compare different fridges for the lowest annual energy usage. What this Rating really tells you is the insulation factor of the fridge.

Another thing to consider is stand by power consumption of the inverter, this is a big factor in how large the batteries must be.

I could get into surge rating but suffice to say, don't consider surge rating in selecting an automotive inverter. The duration is to short to be useful in starting a motor.

Latest resources

Back