Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RickAlt

RVF Newbee
Hello, I'm new here - first trip in my 2022 LT.
- We are driving on highway in 95 degrees.
- Cabin Air Conditioner continues to shut down.
- Call to Thor advises the Inverter needs to be reset - this works for a few minutes, then it shuts down again.

Any solutions?
Thanks friends -

It could be low on refrigerant. The low pressure safety switch in the refrigerant line upstream of the AC compressor trips to prevent oil starvation at the compressor.

Rick

Thank you Rick; the AC doesn't appear to be the problem - the inverter keeps tripping and disabling the AC.

Okay I’m a little confused but that’s normal. Are you trying to run your roof top air conditioner with the inverter? If so, do you have solar?

Inverter shutdowns are usually caused by: (a) excessive power demand equal to or above their rating. (b) excessive temperature due to poor ventilation of the unit. (c) low voltage at the inverter.

Typical rooftop 13.5K BTU AC units will need 1800 watts, and a bit more when the compressor starts. Is the inverter adequately rated?

At 1800 watts and given the efficiency of inverters at 80%, the DC demand is about 2200 watts or about 160 amp demand from the 12V system. Is the alternator on the vehicle capable of this? Are the cables from the battery to the inverter of adequate size based on length? And are all terminals clean and tight?

If you are relying on solar.......this is one heck of a demand for a solar system.

Hello, I'm new here - first trip in my 2022 LT.
- We are driving on highway in 95 degrees.
- Cabin Air Conditioner continues to shut down.
- Call to Thor advises the Inverter needs to be reset - this works for a few minutes, then it shuts down again.

Any solutions?
Thanks friends -
I just bought the 20LT and I have found out that the AC only runs for about 2 hours. (I was told when I bought it it would run four 6-7 hours) when driving you have to cool the RV with the dash AC. Mine will not recharge by driving. I have to plug in to shore power to reset. Have had it in the shop three times. I called IT they said they get this same complaint about 3 times a day. False advertising. The Lithium batteries do not work as advertised.

Seems to me you are expecting a LOT from Lithium batteries and the inverter to run the AC. As questioned earlier, is the alternator adequate to supply 160+ amps?

As to what you were told, best rely on what is in writing. Seems that many folks have selective memory and forgot to mention the conditions where the AC would run for 6 to 7 hrs. For that amount of time, one will need 1200 aH or more of battery capacity. That would be 12 of the 100 ah Lithium batteries.

Bob

Latest resources

Back