Pace Arrow
RV Length
30'
Chassis
Chevrolet
Engine
TOW/TOAD
None
Can someone explain inverters to me ? Ok heres what im trying to understand . Im trying to distinguish the difference in the types there are . Im slowly beginning to realize there is different ones .

I need to know if I can run 110 through a inverter from a battery bank . And I don't know if I have what it takes to do it .

What's goes on in my rig right now is I only have 110 when my generator is running . Or when I hook to the pole .

I think im seeing post where people claims that they are getting 110 from a battery bank . How is this accomplished ? I'LL be eagerly awaiting responses . Thanks in advance

Yes an inverter converts battery DC voltage to 115v ac house current. True sine or modified sine are the wave characteristics, true,or pure sine is cleaner than modified sine, but both will work in most cases. (I use both). Price plays a major role in the purchase decision. You will likely need to increase your battery bank.

Many campers use them to fill in during quiet hours. Solar is usually considered a logical upgrade after an inverter upgrade.

Micro inverters are a way to expand the system if your inverter is to small and true sine, and you will use the system during the day light hours, when Solar is your plan.

Yes an inverter converts battery DC voltage to 115v ac house current. True sine or modified sine are the wave characteristics, true,or pure sine is cleaner than modified sine, but both will work in most cases. (I use both). Price plays a major role in the purchase decision. You will likely need to increase your battery bank.

Many campers use them to fill in during quiet hours. Solar is usually considered a logical upgrade after an inverter upgrade.

Micro inverters are a way to expand the system if your inverter is to small and true sine, and you will use the system during the day light hours, when Solar is your plan.
Well in the part of the world I'm in I'm (Eastern Ohio) told that solar isn't viable . So if I beef up my battery bank and get the right inverter/converter can I use the generator to charge the batteries ?

Well in the part of the world I'm in I'm (North Eastern Ohio) told that solar isn't viable . So if I beef up my battery bank and get the right inverter/converter can I use the generator to charge the batteries ?

Well in the part of the world I'm in I'm (Eastern Ohio) told that solar isn't viable . So if I beef up my battery bank and get the right inverter/converter can I use the generator to charge the batteries ?
Because we are talking theory, we will cover some math. Not much so don't worry!!!

The best battery to charge with the generator is the lithium variety. You can hammer it, as long as you have a system that watches temperature.

For lead acid the top 20% of the charge is done slowly (trickle). What this means is to run the generator just to top off the bank is wasteful at best.

Contrary to some of what you may be told, your bank is not charged when the meter gets up to 14.4v. To illustrate this, think of your battery as a Thanksgiving turkey. Just because the oven is up to temperature doesn't mean the inner part of the turkey is up to temperature. The turkey is hours away from table ready.

So the lost energy (gas), is proportional to the size of the bank. The size of the bank will determine how many amps can be absorbed by the bank, therefore how much of the generators potential can be utilized.

Under charging will result in battery failure at a younger age!!! Increasing over time battery investment.

Summary:

There is no place that panels would not be beneficial, except in the dark, due to the fact that they are ideal for the trickle charge required for the last 20% to bring the bank to fully charged.

Solar panels can be purchased used for a fraction of new price.

I would look at the generator, not as backup, but rather a part of an integrated system, with solar just as important.

The soak times vary but on my bank I consider 10 hours are needed to top up! This means more than one day after a deep discharge.

Hope this answers your questions.

Because we are talking theory, we will cover some math. Not much so don't worry!!!

The best battery to charge with the generator is the lithium variety. You can hammer it, as long as you have a system that watches temperature.

For lead acid the top 20% of the charge is done slowly (trickle). What this means is to run the generator just to top off the bank is wasteful at best.

Contrary to some of what you may be told, your bank is not charged when the meter gets up to 14.4v. To illustrate this, think of your battery as a Thanksgiving turkey. Just because the oven is up to temperature doesn't mean the inner part of the turkey is up to temperature. The turkey is hours away from table ready.

So the lost energy (gas), is proportional to the size of the bank. The size of the bank will determine how many amps can be absorbed by the bank, therefore how much of the generators potential can be utilized.

Under charging will result in battery failure at a younger age!!! Increasing over time battery investment.

Summary:

There is no place that panels would not be beneficial, except in the dark, due to the fact that they are ideal for the trickle charge required for the last 20% to bring the bank to fully charged.

Solar panels can be purchased used for a fraction of new price.

I would look at the generator, not as backup, but rather a part of an integrated system, with solar just as important.

The soak times vary but on my bank I consider 10 hours are needed to top up! This means more than one day after a deep discharge.

Hope this answers your questions.
Very good thanks for your response .
So your tell me that my Onan 4000 isn't really charging my battery bank to full capacity? If not what do I have to get them fully charged short of solar panels ?

Last edited:
Generator can charge the batteries fully, but the amount of current being absorbed by the batteries slows down drastically as they get closer to capacity. So the generator continues to run at full speed, consuming fuel, but the batteries are barely and slowly accepting any current. This becomes a more expensive way to charge the last 20% or so of the battery.
This is where the solar can be more efficient, providing that slow trickle charge to get the batteries to full capacity.
This charging speed and cycle is also why lithium batteries are liked, they can absorb more current and they can do that further up the charge % cycle.

Very good thanks for your response .
So your tell me that my Onan 4000 isn't really charging my battery bank to full capacity? If not what do I have to get them fully charged short of solar panels ?
😲 1/2 gallons an hour. 5 gallons for full charge. 5 usd in Phoenix. 25 big ones per charge! San tan solar has used panels for 50 usd each. I think a controller is available for right at 100 usd on Amazon.

I didn't say your generator won't fully charge the batteries, only that most owners don't! A battery monitor will help you know the battery is full.

Honestly, I am not one to ask for alternatives. I could tell you that I hear stuff on either generators coming in the near future, but what I know won't support the idea. So I must stick with what I know!

Latest resources

Back