Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ChrispyjCSLT22

RVF Newbee
New to this and this will be my first RV purchase ever. All perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.. After the Tampa show, I like these 2 the best.

VS

Both reps stated their product was better than the other, but the Jayco rep went as far as saying GD makes a great product but ours is much better quality because we use plywood throughout vs GD uses OSB.. Thoughts?

New to this and this will be my first RV purchase ever. All perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.. After the Tampa show, I like these 2 the best.

VS

Both reps stated their product was better than the other, but the Jayco rep went as far as saying GD makes a great product but ours is much better quality because we use plywood throughout vs GD uses OSB.. Thoughts?

Spend more time researching the plumbing!!! You will find some thoughts on that searching this site!

Also search frame issues!

Personally, comparing the plywood vs. osb? Keep water away and I like osb. Plywood means nothing!how many ply, and is it marine ply. Quality of plywood in question tell the real story!!!

Just going to throw my .02 in here. Plywood/OSB doesn't have to be a choice.

How about a different material that won't rot or sustain water damage...ever. Brands Using Azdel – Azdel Onboard

Care to elaborate?
Sure! Azdel is a FRP Made from PP! PP can and does burn well,as a fuel. It is used as a bearing surface in low pressure applications, due to the fact nothing sticks to it.
Look at it this way. Teflon won't stick to anything either, but shingles of the stuff was used on the shuttle. Many needed to be reapplied every launch.

Expansion coefficient doesn't match the materials underneath, so it will only be a matter of time before delamination occurs. It is stated on their website,that the failure point will likely be the styrofoam breaking apart, but they claim good results directly over styrofoam. For the record! You can only hope the styrofoam will not maintain the same temperature as the skin,that means an early demise unless you only want to look at your purchase, keeping it in the barn.

I could add a few more reasons. The biggest advantage is that the stuff doesn't absorb water. Adding one more thing! PP is considered "not sustainable".

So for someone that buys an RV made with it, what is the outcome?
A product that is bad for the environment.
RVs are already a fire hazard.
If applied over styrofoam useful life will be short! Applied over underlayment it will last longer, but delamination is a thing!

Happy shopping!!!

But then maybe they have come up with a Way to overcome the properties inherent in the materials. But as stated above! Why would I considered such a product for something I wanted to look good a few years after purchase???

Just going to throw my .02 in here. Plywood/OSB doesn't have to be a choice.

How about a different material that won't rot or sustain water damage...ever. Brands Using Azdel – Azdel Onboard

Thank you for sharing the link.. Which the Jayco has double sided Azdel vs that GD doesn't.. They are still using luan but brag about a 400PSI pull test on the sidewalls as their reason to not use Azdel.. I take it you favor Jayco?

Sure! Azdel is a FRP Made from PP! PP can and does burn well,as a fuel. It is used as a bearing surface in low pressure applications, due to the fact nothing sticks to it.
Look at it this way. Teflon won't stick to anything either, but shingles of the stuff was used on the shuttle. Many needed to be reapplied every launch.

Expansion coefficient doesn't match the materials underneath, so it will only be a matter of time before delamination occurs. It is stated on their website,that the failure point will likely be the styrofoam breaking apart, but they claim good results directly over styrofoam. For the record! You can only hope the styrofoam will not maintain the same temperature as the skin,that means an early demise unless you only want to look at your purchase, keeping it in the barn.

I could add a few more reasons. The biggest advantage is that the stuff doesn't absorb water. Adding one more thing! PP is considered "not sustainable".

So for someone that buys an RV made with it, what is the outcome?
A product that is bad for the environment.
RVs are already a fire hazard.
If applied over styrofoam useful life will be short! Applied over underlayment it will last longer, but delamination is a thing!

Happy shopping!!!

But then maybe they have come up with a Way to overcome the properties inherent in the materials. But as stated above! Why would I considered such a product for something I wanted to look good a few years after purchase???
I thought Azdel was much safer for the enviroment since its basically a fiberglass and Resin composite?

Latest resources

Back