Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

20inquiringmind21

RVF Newbee
I'm considering purchasing a used Jeep Wrangler, to tow behind a class C motorhome. My question! Does it matter if the Jeep has a standard or automatic transmission, and is equipped with larger (33") tires? I want to tow it "four down".

I have been towing my 2012 Wrangler with auto transmission 4 down since new. I don’t think it matters what transmission you have as the transfer case disconnects the engine/transmission from the wheels.

I have been towing my 2012 Wrangler with auto transmission 4 down since new. I don’t think it matters what transmission you have as the transfer case disconnects the engine/transmission from the wheels.
does it matter what size tires are on the Jeep? The Jeep I'm looking at has 33" tires, it sits high.

does it matter what size tires are on the Jeep? The Jeep I'm looking at has 33" tires, it sits high.
Has no bearing on the Jeep’s ability to be towed. However, keep in mind the hitch height difference needs to be addressed properly.

You can tow automatic or standard makes no difference. Same with tires. That's the beauty of a Jeep.

What year is the Wrangler? The steering wheel lock was removed sometime in the 2008 model year. Set up is pretty much the same for all of them, except for the steering wheel lock years.
Transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park or in gear for manuals. If you have a steering wheel lock, one ignition click forward will unlock it and send no power to the Jeep.
Towed miles are not recorded.
We've only towed Jeeps over our years of RVing. 33" tires, 35", and 37" tires on our current Jeep. Makes no difference towing as long as the tow bar is level.
Happy Jeep camping!

Latest resources

Back