Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Just ordered new 2022 ford ranger.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jacsd

RVF Newbee
6050 gvwr
4441 curb weight
1609 payload
12400 gcwr
7500 tc
The trailer we are looking at is a wildwood 171rbkl double axle
521 hitch weight
3836 uvw
3685 ccc
22’ long
The numbers work on any calculator i can find. I am installing a break controller and using Anderson distribution hitch.
I was hoping just to maybe get some opinions good and bad to help me make a final decision. The one thing that is making me question this set up is the length of trailer. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

The numbers appear to work, I would be very concerned with that small platform towing a full sized travel trailer. Tow ratings are based on a flatbed trailer with little to no wind resistance.
I would not consider this.

The first problem that I see is that you are using the dry tongue weight of the trailer. You have to add the propane and tanks along with the battery. This alone will add weight to the tongue. Also, the time you are going to pull that trailer empty is on the way home from the dealer.

To be on the safe side add the UVW(3836) to the CCC(3685) and then figure 12.5% of the total(7521) for your tongue weight(940). Add in everything else you put into the truck(you, wife, kids, pets etc and you are going to be very close to your limits. Actually if you load the TT to its capacity your are over your tow limit. Most people say they will never load to capacity but you would be amazed at how fast that adds up.

Personally, I would look at either a smaller trailer or a larger truck.

Order the truck with the factory tow package! That makes a big difference in the way it handles a trailer, plus a larger alternator, plus a larger transmission cooler, plus a brake controller and 7 pin trailer connector and etc.

What is the cargo weight rating of the truck? Is that 1609? Start with the cargo weight rating, then subtract the weight of passengers, subtract the weight of fuel, subtract the weight of the trailer tongue, the weight of the load distribution hitch, and subtract the weight of anything ( known as stuff) you load in the truck. If the number is still positive, good. Most likely it will be negative, thus the truck is overloaded.

Use the maximum gross weight of the trailer. This presumes one does not overload the trailer. This number should be 80% of the tow rating of the truck.

Get the numbers and do the math. Then you will know if it is a go or no-go. Better to have too much truck than too much trailer.

The first problem that I see is that you are using the dry tongue weight of the trailer. You have to add the propane and tanks along with the battery. This alone will add weight to the tongue. Also, the time you are going to pull that trailer empty is on the way home from the dealer.

To be on the safe side add the UVW(3836) to the CCC(3685) and then figure 12.5% of the total(7521) for your tongue weight(940). Add in everything else you put into the truck(you, wife, kids, pets etc and you are going to be very close to your limits. Actually if you load the TT to its capacity your are over your tow limit. Most people say they will never load to capacity but you would be amazed at how fast that adds up.

Personally, I would look at either a smaller trailer or a larger truck.
Thanks my thought is when looking at most single axle trailers say at 3500lb dry with a ccc of say from 800 to 1200 which most are on average, having a double axel and still only ever plan to use the same ccc. I should have noted that this is only for two people.

The numbers appear to work, I would be very concerned with that small platform towing a full sized travel trailer. Tow ratings are based on a flatbed trailer with little to no wind resistance.
this I think was my real concern. Wind and smaller footprint than a half ton. Thanks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back