Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Does anyone feel the need to install a keyed fuel cap like we had in the 70s?

guess it depends on the rig. I’ve heard reports of people just going underneath and cutting the rubber fill pipe and syphoning from there, which of course would be much worse than having some fuel stolen.

guess it depends on the rig. I’ve heard reports of people just going underneath and cutting the rubber fill pipe and syphoning from there, which of course would be much worse than having some fuel stolen.
... and they might just cut out the catalytic while they're there... what's a guy to do? :censored:

Thinking more about replacing the Stant fuel caps. I've seen postings about being the OEM cap stuck and finding an alternative. A keyed cap might be secured without over tightening, if that is the issue.

My opinion is the problem is frame of mind! If one click is good, three clicks is better!

I had a locking cap on my gasser. I’ll never know if it ever stopped anyone…. it’s long gone. On my clacker, both fuel doors lock and the caps are non-locking. For the relatively low cost, I’d certainly buy one ( or 2 if non-locking fuel doors) just for the piece of mind.

Locking caps on both diesel tanks and on the DEF.
Make it a bit challenging for stealing or adding anything harmful to the tank.
Another form of insurance and barrier to damage.

We had an incident a couple of years ago so I bought caps off Amazon. I usually only lock them if we are stopping for a night or more.

Fuel doors, locking or not offer a deterrent!
For the would be criminal to run down the street, gas can in hand opening every door on his way, to see what caps lock, becomes quite obvious.

Criminals are the dark! They don't like the light of exposure!
As stated above, a criminal will do what is less obvious, and that has become cutting into the fill spout or worse.

The solution of course is the French's past practice of lopping off the thieves hand!!! But alas, it is best to live and not worry!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back