Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
How-dee...
Not sure where else to put this...
I addressed some of this before, but I think this is a little more focused-at least regarding the question, which is:

What RVs can tow about 10,000 lbs.?

I am trying to determine options. The rest below is just for reference, as the issue is what can tow that weight, if anything.

I would like to have an RV that can tow either my LC HJ45 or FJ Cruiser in an enclosed trailer. The trailer would double as a small workshop when the vehicle is out of it.

I am in the planning stages of leaving my teaching job and getting back to creating murals and other art.
I also illustrate, write, do leathercrafting, and model building and props for theater/TV/film.
No large, heavy equipment, but lots of little tools and would be nice to be able to have a small band saw, bench-top sander, and power tools.
I may do this full time for a while, as certain changes may lead me to sell my house.

I would be traveling and living with my two dogs.

The FJC has a GVWR of about 5,570lbs and the HJ45 about 6,000lbs. I figure between the vehicle, trailer, and supplies, it would be about an 8,000lb trailer load, maybe a little more.

I could also convert the RV bedroom into the workshop and just have an open trailer, maybe aluminum to save on weight.

Does anyone know what RVs can tow that much: 8-10,000 pounds? Or more?
I would get preowned, and shorter is better. My thinking is a Super C, but they are pricey, so maybe an older one?

Have also considered a box truck, preferably with a manual transmission, diesel-and convert it to an RV, but honestly, I don't think I want to deal with a conversion. I tried it with a school-bus and it just was too much work so I sold it.
I suppose I could just put in some Ikea cabinets or used cabinets or whatever. Not sure.

We have a 2007 Coachman Encore 40TS diesel pusher. the stock hitch according to manual is rated at 10K. We love this coach such a functional layout.

Any modern Diesel pushers or Super C would easily handle 10k. Our DutchStar is rated to pull 25k

Any modern Diesel pushers or Super C would easily handle 10k. Our DutchStar is rated to pull 25k
Joe your Dutch Star has a 15k rating which is still a lot, the k3 chassis has a 20K rating.

That's good to know. Thing is, any modern diesel pusher is gonna be rather pricey. They also seem to be huge.

I could tow a small little cargo trailer with my mural supplies. Maybe even do a little bed inside and add a couple of windows, and sleep in that. With a silent generator, I can run AC. I've watched my dogs on video when I am not home and all they do is sleep, so they would be OK, especially since I wouldn't be working 8 hour days and would come walk them every couple of hours. And... jobs would not be every week. If I get two or three murals a year I would do fine.
For something like this I would DEFINITELY get some kind of alert/alarm regarding AC turning off or temperature rise. Not gonna risk my dogs' lives.

I can also get a smaller Class C, maybe with a V10, and convert the bedroom into a little workshop/transport the paint and supplied underneath. Flat tow the HJ45. Though I hate flat towing.

Alternately, I can get a storage spot for the RV and swap out the HJ45 and FJ Cruiser when needed. Eventually get a Super C.

Lots to think about. Every time I think of a possible solution, I think of a problem with it.

I stand corrected, The DSDP is rated to tow 15k. Verified by spec sheet, GCWR 67,000 vs GVWR 52,000 diff 15,000.
Glad I haven't bought that 24' stacker to haul my Teslas yet. :)

Chassis specs.jpg

How-dee...
Not sure where else to put this...
I addressed some of this before, but I think this is a little more focused-at least regarding the question, which is:

What RVs can tow about 10,000 lbs.?

I am trying to determine options. The rest below is just for reference, as the issue is what can tow that weight, if anything.

I would like to have an RV that can tow either my LC HJ45 or FJ Cruiser in an enclosed trailer. The trailer would double as a small workshop when the vehicle is out of it.

I am in the planning stages of leaving my teaching job and getting back to creating murals and other art.
I also illustrate, write, do leathercrafting, and model building and props for theater/TV/film.
No large, heavy equipment, but lots of little tools and would be nice to be able to have a small band saw, bench-top sander, and power tools.
I may do this full time for a while, as certain changes may lead me to sell my house.

I would be traveling and living with my two dogs.

The FJC has a GVWR of about 5,570lbs and the HJ45 about 6,000lbs. I figure between the vehicle, trailer, and supplies, it would be about an 8,000lb trailer load, maybe a little more.

I could also convert the RV bedroom into the workshop and just have an open trailer, maybe aluminum to save on weight.

Does anyone know what RVs can tow that much: 8-10,000 pounds? Or more?
I would get preowned, and shorter is better. My thinking is a Super C, but they are pricey, so maybe an older one?

Have also considered a box truck, preferably with a manual transmission, diesel-and convert it to an RV, but honestly, I don't think I want to deal with a conversion. I tried it with a school-bus and it just was too much work so I sold it.
I suppose I could just put in some Ikea cabinets or used cabinets or whatever. Not sure.
I have friends that tow a trailer as you describe with a sand car in it with a class A v10 Ford chassis motorhome. Car approx 2500 pounds trailers Approximately 2500/3000 and that is at or above the 5 K tow ratting, most hills on the FWY are 35 MPH max.
An older non tag axle diesel motorhome may be a viable option typically they are 37 foot models and less cost
Some gas coaches have toy hauler boxes that would be great for you office/workshop, Newmar Canyon Star and Thor Outlaws come to mind.
You definitely need to check the capacity of each one you look at. Some motorhome manufacturers stretched the frames after the rear axle by welding a section over or under the main frame, these sometimes have lower capacity and are very expensive to have a better hitch installed
Have you considered a truck and 5th wheel? Again a 5th wheel with a toy box would be a great office /workshop
The box van conversion will likely be a high mileage unit to start
Happy Shopping!

I have friends that tow a trailer as you describe with a sand car in it with a class A v10 Ford chassis motorhome. Car approx 2500 pounds trailers Approximately 2500/3000 and that is at or above the 5 K tow ratting, most hills on the FWY are 35 MPH max.
An older non tag axle diesel motorhome may be a viable option typically they are 37 foot models and less cost
Some gas coaches have toy hauler boxes that would be great for you office/workshop, Newmar Canyon Star and Thor Outlaws come to mind.
You definitely need to check the capacity of each one you look at. Some motorhome manufacturers stretched the frames after the rear axle by welding a section over or under the main frame, these sometimes have lower capacity and are very expensive to have a better hitch installed
Have you considered a truck and 5th wheel? Again a 5th wheel with a toy box would be a great office /workshop
The box van conversion will likely be a high mileage unit to start
Happy Shopping!
I am not a fan of 5th wheels. Also, I want to have my Land Cruiser along if possible, because I like going on long trips deep into the outback. The RV would serve as a living/working space that I can move around, but the Land Cruiser is what I prefer for adventures.

I'll look into the non-tag axle idea, but doesn't the tag axle allow for greater weight carrying/towing?

Thanks!

I am not a fan of 5th wheels. Also, I want to have my Land Cruiser along if possible, because I like going on long trips deep into the outback. The RV would serve as a living/working space that I can move around, but the Land Cruiser is what I prefer for adventures.

I'll look into the non-tag axle idea, but doesn't the tag axle allow for greater weight carrying/towing?

Thanks!
Toy hauler class A and flat tow FJ ticks several of your boxes

The tag increases cargo capacity and tongue weight at least on Freightliner and Spartan the transmission model is what changes tow capacity.

Latest resources

Back