RV Model
Alpine 3710KP
RV Length
41ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
Hello all we are new on here and wanted to know if anyone uses a king pin lock and if so what type/brand are you using? And thanks in advance for the input.

Do you have a link to this for others to check it out?

There are several things to consider with any lock. The more secure the lock the more important you DO NOT LOOSE the key or disable the lock.
We have exterior security locks on buildings in NYC. In order to gain access to the building when one of those becomes disabled is a BIG Deal. Only certain locksmiths are equipped to deal with these level of locks without causing more damage to the door and lock assembly. Short of a big drill and hours of repair.

The PSA out of the way, you might consider a lock with at least a two sided key. Your standard Master Lock style key will not slow down any prepared thief. Also the harder it is to gain access to the key slot the better, harder to pick.

Tubular Pin Tumbler locks are the most difficult to pick unless you have special equipment. A shielded Tubular Pin Tumbler lock is best.
A lock assembly that covers the Pin is also preferable to avoid the Bolt Cutter bandits. Typical tool of a thief is a large bolt cutter.

My recommendation is something like this Bulldog, King Pin/5th Wheel Coupler Lock – Ultra High Security – BOLT CUTTER PROOF!!! – Basic RV

Medco Pad locks Heavy Duty, High Security, Industrial Padlocks - Padlock Outlet - PadlockOutlet.com

all that said here is some industry comments.

Simple tools to open your standard pad lock

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I've decided to try the Fort Knox that takes the puck style lock which I have so I will update on how it works out. Again such a great site and thanks again. I found it on Amazon for around $159.

if you end up looking more, I like our trailer coupler lock from proven industries. They also have a king pin lock.

Latest resources

Back