RV Year
RV Make
Gulfstream Kingsport Ultralite
RV Model
199RK
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hello again, just in case others have a trailer like mine I am creating this post to show the steps I used to modify the base of the couch paneling so I could easily access my water pump to winterize it without having to remove and install it entirely each year (annyoing this should have been done from the factory) and it allowed me to create an extra cubby hole to store our daypacks used during hikes too.

Total Cost for Project $56.94 plus tax (this did not include the paint because I already had paint from other home projects)

Below is a picture of the original paneling before I made one to replace it with an access panel (see the bottom of the couch):
1675050124674.png

1. Remove the 4 screws in the paneling below the couch.

2. Once the panel is removed measure the height of the lower frame rail mounted to the floor so you can be sure to cut your hole in your new 1/4 inch plywood at that height because you will install your access panel's inner frame directly on top of it for support.
1675123420935.png

3. I found the distance between the two frame rails (top and bottom) was about 10 inches apart, so I found a metal access panel with locking door that those dimensions so it would slide right in and contact both frames for mounting (if your dimensions differ just find a panel with the dimensions you need or shim it, there are many options available online). Here is a picture of the one I purchased below:
1675123643949.png

4. Cut a section of plywood the same height and width as the base of your couch framing, and once it is cut mark a line accross the bottom long edge of it representing the height of the couch frame in place and do the same to the top of it as well so you can use it to be certain your access panel will sit between the upper and lower frame rails.
1675125158049.png

5. Use the access panel to create a square template on your plywood you cut previously near the water pump winterizing access port by simply setting it in place, measuring each base's distance from the edges of your plywood (top and bottom) to be sure it is aligned correctly, and remember to be certain the bottom inside frame of the access door is even with the lines representing the thickness of the lower frame rail of the couch (if this is done it should align perfectly with the upper frame marking as well). Then cut it out with a circular saw or sawzall (I used my circular saw because its easier to get a straight cut in my opinion).

6. Next measure your cutout for the opposite side of the couch to create a cubby hole (before this was just wasted space hard to access) to store extra gear or day packs. For this I left about 2 inches of overhang on all four sides of the pocket dimensions so stuff won't slide out (I also added a block of wood in the center of the bottom panel because the frame didn't run all the way accross and I was worreid if I yanked out my bag and it caught on the plywood it might crack it without the support. Below is a pic of the 1/4 plywood with the cuts I made after I painted it with grey paint and streaked it with black paint to make it look a little like woodgrain (I just spray a little black spray paint into the left over gray paint and dipped my brush into it for the final coat of paint to make the woodgrain looking streaks accross they grey painted plywood). Also, before you paint run a flat file accross the edges of the wood to smooth them out.
1675124078675.png

7. Install the panel (I used 3 screws on each side of the ends and 3 in the center which attached to a center frame support) and shim if necessary. I had to add shims on the right side because of a lip on the edge of the frame. Next install your access panel assembly and use two wood screws to attach the door assembly to the upper frame rail and two screws to attach the bottom of the door assembly to the lower frame rail (see pic).
1675124402780.png
1675125649728.png

8. Add an interior panel (use some of the left over plywood to make one and paint it to match) on the right inner side of the cubby hole to cover up the frame and make it look completely finished. I only used a little over 1/3 of a sheet of plywood for the whole project (in the pic on the inner right area of the cubby hole you can see the finished panel installed).
1675124748100.png
1675124796729.png

1675124877929.png

Now you can access the pump and valve to winterize without having to pull the screws out and wallow out the holes in your couch frame by just using a flat tip screwdriver to turn the door latch :) and you got some extra storage too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back