Winnebago
RV Model
24V
RV Length
25' 6"
Chassis
MB Sprinter 3500
Engine
Greetings All, I value the RV network of experience for consultation and have not yet made my own decision on the generator, they both have CMP in common which is understood. Scenario; Class C Winnebago View, gen on passenger side aft of wheels with exhaust extending to aft of coach (bumper). Usage of RV approx. 25 days a month for 9-10 months a year. BLM/boondocking 4-6 days a month, roadside/park lot overnight 2-3 nights a month and 16 nights in campgrounds/NP. My concern with LP 3600 Watt Onan MQ (64db) is running out of LP with use of H20 heater, furnace, stovetop and running generator for a/c when needed. LP tank capacity 50.76 lbs. (actual fill 80%). My concern with Diesel 3200 Watt Onan (68db) is noise and exhaust. (fueled by chassis tank)I have read about gen-turi exhaust extension not sure how that really effects warranty. On paper diesel initially costs more but is more efficient. :unsure:
Any comments/suggestions/experience will be greatly appreciated.
Good day and safe travels.
22MrAir27

I would investigate the LPG if one of the following apply....

Is there a mobile service to deliver LP? Or...if you can modify the system with an Extend-a-stay...and have a larger LP bottle delivered... This is a bonus for LP. I see lots of Full Timers in certain parks that have a huge LP tank next to their rig...and usually, a service delivers it to them. Yes, certain places have diesel fuel delivery...but I don't think it's as easy. We noticed in Dallas...fuel delivery was usually contracted only with businesses and fleets. Whereas LP delivery was available to anyone. If you can't get delivery...then whatever you think is easiest to transport back and forth...or weigh anchor and drive to the fill-up station. Diesel provides more energy...but it's smelly compared to LP.

We have an all-electric coach...no LP, so we deal with the generator and oasis odor of diesel exhaust. It' s not all that bad...but LP would burn with less odor....

We use a Genturi when we camp next to others at Rallies, Balloon Fiesta, Harvest Host (where allowed)... It essentially redirects exhaust with little to no back pressure on the system. To me it's just good etiquette.

If you have all those other things running off propane I'd go with the diesel generator. We have a diesel Onan 7500 and love it. It's really not that loud.

I would investigate the LPG if one of the following apply....

Is there a mobile service to deliver LP? Or...if you can modify the system with an Extend-a-stay...and have a larger LP bottle delivered... This is a bonus for LP. I see lots of Full Timers in certain parks that have a huge LP tank next to their rig...and usually, a service delivers it to them. Yes, certain places have diesel fuel delivery...but I don't think it's as easy. We noticed in Dallas...fuel delivery was usually contracted only with businesses and fleets. Whereas LP delivery was available to anyone. If you can't get delivery...then whatever you think is easiest to transport back and forth...or weigh anchor and drive to the fill-up station. Diesel provides more energy...but it's smelly compared to LP.

We have an all-electric coach...no LP, so we deal with the generator and oasis odor of diesel exhaust. It' s not all that bad...but LP would burn with less odor....

We use a Genturi when we camp next to others at Rallies, Balloon Fiesta, Harvest Host (where allowed)... It essentially redirects exhaust with little to no back pressure on the system. To me it's just good etiquette.
I have an older motorhome that I don't drive anymore that just sits on some property I own so I made a fill nozzle that I hook to a 5 gal tank and when hung high and upside down, It transfers to the main tank via the fill port. Voila. You could also tee into the line between the tank and regulator and accomplish the same thing.

Greetings All, I value the RV network of experience for consultation and have not yet made my own decision on the generator, they both have CMP in common which is understood. Scenario; Class C Winnebago View, gen on passenger side aft of wheels with exhaust extending to aft of coach (bumper). Usage of RV approx. 25 days a month for 9-10 months a year. BLM/boondocking 4-6 days a month, roadside/park lot overnight 2-3 nights a month and 16 nights in campgrounds/NP. My concern with LP 3600 Watt Onan MQ (64db) is running out of LP with use of H20 heater, furnace, stovetop and running generator for a/c when needed. LP tank capacity 50.76 lbs. (actual fill 80%). My concern with Diesel 3200 Watt Onan (68db) is noise and exhaust. (fueled by chassis tank)I have read about gen-turi exhaust extension not sure how that really effects warranty. On paper diesel initially costs more but is more efficient. :unsure:
Any comments/suggestions/experience will be greatly appreciated.
Good day and safe travels.
22MrAir27
Having had a propane generator I have had problems finding propane. I now have a diesel generator. No problem finding diesel.

Thank you all, I decided on a diesel, I think it will be easier to get diesel (the rig is diesel) and that was the main concern, running low/out of propane. So I'll save the propane for stove, furnace and h20 heater.
Thank again for your feedback(y)

Latest resources

Back