• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leveling with front tires off the ground

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am new to this RVing, my third trip out, I was on ground that was not level. I put wooden blocks under my back tires and Jack's. The back was much lower ground than the front. When retracting the jacks they all come up at the same time, I think. When I was retracting the jackets the rig moved forward about an inch, I bent one and broke one off completely. Keep in mind this was all my fault. I had taken the wooden blocks out from under the tires. By doing that the back tires are off the ground and now no emergency break!! I will never have my tires off the ground again. I have Lago blocks and will drive my rig on them along with Lago blocks up the Jack's.
I might be mistaken, but if you leave the airbags at ride height and raise the coach with the jacks you still get about the same scenario. Virtually all the weight is transferred to the jacks regardless.
You are not mistaken - if you leave the air bags inflated, the jacks just have to extend more to do the job so the coach may not be as stable, but still ok. I like to extend the jacks as little as possible so I dump the bags first.

As for blocks, I carry 4x4 and 2x6 blocks but I dont stack them - I use one or the other. I agree that stacking blocks can create issues and most people don’t understand or use safe cribbing methods, so best not to do it. If you need that many blocks you should probably find somewhere else to park, or just live with being a little off level.

When in doubt, chock the wheels that are still on the ground, and even though the load is reduced on the rear axle when using the rear jacks, the rear wheels will still keep the coach from moving as long as they have good contact with the ground AND the parking brake is set; also trans in Park if you have that type of rig.

Hello, any advice on having the front tires off the ground after leveling? Is this ok?
I have camped since 1976 and have been on a few forums. one thing I know for sure if you even try to answer anyone there will be someone to say your wrong! so my advice is ask a mechanic, service technician or just another camper just dont ask in a group, everyone is trying to show how much they know. I have had my tires off the ground a more then once, never had a problem, Im on coach number 8 Newell 2010

I have camped since 1976 and have been on a few forums. one thing I know for sure if you even try to answer anyone there will be someone to say your wrong! so my advice is ask a mechanic, service technician or just another camper just dont ask in a group, everyone is trying to show how much they know. I have had my tires off the ground a more then once, never had a problem, Im on coach number 8 Newell 2010
This is a better forum than all the rest so you’ll probably find the question-and-answer process here much more user friendly. Enjoy!

Not really seeing anyone say "you are wrong". Forums are for OPINIONS, help, advise, community and several other good things. I have not seen anyone claim the title of EXPERT. Just like with anything worthwhile (like this forum) opinions can differ. Also things that apply to a Class A pusher are different than a 24ft tow behind. Have fun with the chatter and remember, the RV lifestyle and this forum are meant to be enjoyable not combative.
Let me know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

And NEVER open slides until you are level. Level first, then slides.
Ken
It depends on the make and model. At factory pickup we were taught to put the slides out (when bags are aired up) then level. When leaving air up the bags, bring the slides in and then lift the jacks. The slides on our rig is set up to work on the air bags.

It depends on the make and model. At factory pickup we were taught to put the slides out (when bags are aired up) then level. When leaving air up the bags, bring the slides in and then lift the jacks. The slides on our rig is set up to work on the air bags.
Good morning,
I said exactly that in my last comment. There is no rule that applies to every model. Our MH is a 2019 HR 35K Vacationer. The dealer and the manual say level first, then out with the slides. We leave the auto level system on until the slides are done coming out. That way anything that changes can be corrected before shutting it off. When we leave, the slides come in first then retract the jacks.
They are all a bit different.
Ken

Here is Newmar saying how to deploy slides.
Deploy Slides.jpg

My Discovery said to level then deploy sides but my Newmar I have a warning letter from Newmar that states to check the gap on full wall slides then deploy slides and the last step is to level the coach. I always say to follow your manufacture's recommendation on deploying slides before or after leveling.
I leave my level system on until the slides are done. Any final needed adjustment is done after slides. Manufacturer for me said level first so that is what I do. As temperamental as those things can be, it makes sense (TO ME - NOT EVERYONE) that opening something with additional stress on one side over the other or uphill could add an issue. Before we leave, I bring slides in first, then retract the jacks.
Not all built the same I guess.
Ken

My Discovery said to level then deploy sides but my Newmar I have a warning letter from Newmar that states to check the gap on full wall slides then deploy slides and the last step is to level the coach. I always say to follow your manufacture's recommendation on deploying slides before or after leveling.

I agree…. My manual with my Holiday Rambler says slides first, level second.

Latest resources

Back