• Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
Writing this as much to vent as to hear advice and input.

I am working fifty miles from my house. An hour drive each way. Two hours a day. Ten hours per week. Forty hours per month. Four hundred hours per year (working ten months) which ads up to SIXTEEN DAYS per year... sitting in a vehicle. And that's dividing it up by 24 hours. If I was to divide it up by actual productive hours/waking hours, it would amount to about TWENTY FIVE DAYS!!!

All those hours every day, my two dogs sit and wait. I don't see them or interact with them. Add to that hours sitting at a desk. It's mostly free time, basically supervising.
I'm using the time to finish my comic about my life with a stray puppy I found years ago, to write novel, learn some animation software, and develop an animated series. But I am still tied to this building.
One thing I need to do is take breaks and just go for a walk around the huge field-that would help.

But I am still tied to that building.

The situation at home has been hell for years. Won't go into detail but a situation of emotional abuse and gaslighting. I just recently had an experience where I felt, literally, like Neo in The Matrix: waking up and seeing reality, and it was very dark. Soon after I was offered some information by someone that made me feel, again, like Neo taking the red pill. I was sick to my stomach for a whole day as I looked back and now saw things clearly. It was as if I had been trapped in a strange dreamworld-unable to wake until now.

What I am considering is getting out: selling the house and splitting it with the other, getting an RV, and boondocking. I'm looking into something like a Bigfoot, or a Super C. Not new: can't afford it, but preowned.

For now I can boondock at truck-stops near my job and park next to my job during the day. I could do a KOA long term, but boondocking will save me a good $600 per month.
If necessary, I can do that for a year. Save more money.
I also have an online job teaching, which is super easy, and doesn't pay great, but not bad.
I am an artist, as described above, but also work on leather (holsters, bags...)
I used to do murals for kids' rooms and businesses that cater to kids. Also did props and scenic art for theaters and TV productions.
I can do these things for extra income. I can maybe work short term doing props or murals in different states.
Also, I am a certified off road instructor. With my Land Cruiser in tow, I can give private and group instruction.

My idea is to convert the bedroom of the RV into a small workshop and sleep in the living room area. Have a storage unit to keep some things, and which I can go to for resupply or perhaps making something more involved whenever needed.
I have an old Land Cruiser that I would like to two, preferably on a trailer (thus the Super C idea).

I would like to have a small cabin on a piece of land out of town eventually.

It's a little scary: the thought of eventually leaving this job to boondock. Insurance. Etc.
But it's also scary to think of the missed days of being on the road, camping somewhere. Seeing the blue sky and the sun. Even seeing the rain and snow.
Scarier still is the idea of just wasting days until retirement, if I make it that long, to then just get by.

I had a high school English teacher who had a sailboat, and his dream was to sail, I believe it was to sail to Australia and back from Florida, or around the world. Regardless, he had the sailboat. He had everything set up.
His retirement cam and he was going to set out, but the district offered him a higher pay and retirement if he would do another few years-four or five I think it was. He accepted. Made a good amount more money, and earned a considerably higher retirement payment. And so he finished that time, and it was time to sail!
He never even made it to the sea. He died at home a few weeks before the journey was to start.
I have always remembered that: those last four or five years could have been spent at sea. He may even have had longer with the freedom.

I had a good friend. His mother died and left him a fully paid house in South Florida, along with about $800,000. His father died and left him about $250,000. He had a 1971 Barracuda he was restoring.
He was offered about $400,000 for the house, but he refused to accept it because it had been "worth" like $700,000 during the bubble. He was offered somewhere around $200,000 for the Cuda, but her refused because it was worth much more fully restored.
I told him several times to sell the dam house, get an RV and a trailer, and travel with the Cuda.
The Cuda had been an albatross around his neck for a few decades: the constant struggle to get it done right etc.I told him why not just sell it and live, but he said "that a-hole that offered him 200k would restore it and sell it for 500k. I asked if he was gonna spend the $50,000 plus it would probably take to restore that thing to make it worth 500k, and if not, take the money and run. Enjoy life.
HE wouldn't. He chose instead to spend his days leting old punk rocker friends stay at his house, drink and smoke and eat crappy food. Play music, but just as a hobby.
We lost contact for a while.
One day I called him. He was an artist too and I proposed we team up. I wanted to develop an animated series and some other things. We could work together.
He took my call in the hospital, waiting for heart surgery the next morning. They needed to replace a valve because his smoking etc. had messed him up with weight gain and other issues.
His surgery was scheduled for around 6AM the next morning. It was about 7PM when we spoke.
He said he's call me as soon as he was out of recovery so we could discuss this.
Two days later I got the call: my friend died on the operating table, He was 48 years old.
That was that.
Car, house, inheritance, everything stayed behind. All of it. He had no will so I think the state stole it all.

The stress I have gone through, at home and in teaching with the constant disrespect and abuse has aged me. And I wonder what the hell is staying at a job worth. Getting an RV and boondocking and trying to do a business is a risk, but so is not doing it.

Kind of feels like losing the brakes on a car heading towards a 1,000 foot drop, and worrying about the risk of jumping out over staying in the car for that long fall.
God gave me a talent and I think I have squandered it. "Plan B" has been a sabotage, actually, because it has been the safety cushion preventing me from risking.

To put things in perspective: I have been homeless. I have spent years struggling just to keep my nose above water. I have been in education and seen how teachers have become expendable: having less and less authority while being given more and more responsibility and blame. I worked in Florida as a graphic artist and seen how I, and others, were used: hired for a time and then fired without cause or warning. I am just tired of it.

Having to work while in the RV, I can take a break and take my dogs outside, go for a short walk, etc.
I figure just the RV alone, staying at the current job, is a big step forward. I am not tied down. I've been in a situations before where I lose a job and then, like most other people, am restricted to the general area to find another job-that or break a lease, pay through the nose to leave or have my credit damaged... settling for whatever is within commute distance.
With the RV I can at least find a job pretty much anywhere.
But my goal is to work remotely.

I am still figuring this out, but just wanted to express myself. Maybe this will help someone else. Maybe someone will give me good advice.
Either way, I just want to express what I am going through.

That is quite a statement. I can relate to much of it. Except the other at home part. I always admired people that just threw themselves to the wind and came floating down, or landed hard and bounced right back. Most like a safety net and fall for the old work hard, save your pennies, buy a home and settle down, stick to the plan. I have seen so many never get to the retirement stage and so many that can't retire because they are driven and afraid of not being ahead of inflation or engaged with society. I am at that precipice myself with work, Social Security, to many possessions, a house we don't need anymore, but where to go?
I hope others weigh in with opinions and how they decided how to move forward or stay behind.
Be well Strider, and make well thought out decisions. With your skill sets, it seems another door may open when you close some.

Morphius has his eye on you!!! So does the matrix!!!
The universe is calling, but, to follow the calling, you will have to release your fear, and the hold that the puppupetmasters have on you!!! Morphius has shown you the door, but you must go through it on your own.

You may need to meet captain Ron before you will be liberated. Someday is like tomorrow! The past is the past, today is the NOW!!! And now is the only time you have!!!

It is said 5D is obtained when you no longer get in the way of your own happiness!!! After you are awake (where your at), getting back to basics, so you can live unencumbered, you can find your real purpose in this encarnation.

If you are ready! Watch the following, keeping what I say about them in your mind!

The matrix is a trilogy! The claim is it is not a fiction movie, but a documentary!

Another you should enjoy is the Truman show, some call it a documentary, and the life story you shared is in it.

Star trek first contact may sturr in you a truth or two!!!

As a sailor, for some time I realized, when the boat is attached to a dock, your not going anywhere. Until you throw loose the lines you too will only have a dream. Once you are underway that is when you break free!!! Your friends have taught you that lesson!!! To bring home this point watch Captain Ron!!!

Last but not least. The road less traveled, is not in anyway easier! At your final days you will have less options, for you will have traded security for freedom!!! But as you find you future limited you will also find the comfort that has found you throughout your life!!!

My dissertation is one of personal experience! I would not change anything to aquire anything I don't already have.

That is quite a statement. I can relate to much of it. Except the other at home part. I always admired people that just threw themselves to the wind and came floating down, or landed hard and bounced right back. Most like a safety net and fall for the old work hard, save your pennies, buy a home and settle down, stick to the plan. I have seen so many never get to the retirement stage and so many that can't retire because they are driven and afraid of not being ahead of inflation or engaged with society. I am at that precipice myself with work, Social Security, to many possessions, a house we don't need anymore, but where to go?
I hope others weigh in with opinions and how they decided how to move forward or stay behind.
Be well Strider, and make well thought out decisions. With your skill sets, it seems another door may open when you close some.
Thank you! Yeah, everyone has their own story, but also, we all share the same obstacles in a way: we've been conditioned to want more and more and more, and this is a very well designed psychological bait that leads us into a very physical trap.

You said "I am at that precipice myself with work, Social Security, to many possessions, a house we don't need anymore, but where to go?"
I get it. It's not wise to just jump into things blindly. But from the stories above, and endless others, we can know, for sure, that all those possessions and things will stay behind-wind up in thrift stores-someone else's possession, or in the dump. Every single wasted moment we spend on them is then for that final end. So what;s more important: our possessions, or our freedom?
We each have to decide, but the fact is that, again, nothing-absolutely nothing that we spend so many hours in a job to buy will we be able to take with us.

My greatest worry is the way things are going-the looming shadow of totalitarianism-the infringement of out liberties.

Morphius has his eye on you!!! So does the matrix!!!
The universe is calling, but, to follow the calling, you will have to release your fear, and the hold that the puppupetmasters have on you!!! Morphius has shown you the door, but you must go through it on your own.

You may need to meet captain Ron before you will be liberated. Someday is like tomorrow! The past is the past, today is the NOW!!! And now is the only time you have!!!

It is said 5D is obtained when you no longer get in the way of your own happiness!!! After you are awake (where your at), getting back to basics, so you can live unencumbered, you can find your real purpose in this encarnation.

If you are ready! Watch the following, keeping what I say about them in your mind!

The matrix is a trilogy! The claim is it is not a fiction movie, but a documentary!

Another you should enjoy is the Truman show, some call it a documentary, and the life story you shared is in it.

Star trek first contact may sturr in you a truth or two!!!

As a sailor, for some time I realized, when the boat is attached to a dock, your not going anywhere. Until you throw loose the lines you too will only have a dream. Once you are underway that is when you break free!!! Your friends have taught you that lesson!!! To bring home this point watch Captain Ron!!!

Last but not least. The road less traveled, is not in anyway easier! At your final days you will have less options, for you will have traded security for freedom!!! But as you find you future limited you will also find the comfort that has found you throughout your life!!!

My dissertation is one of personal experience! I would not change anything to aquire anything I don't already have.
Ha! You are quite correct! I have to go through the door myself, pushing past the gatekeepers -both exterior and interior- who wish the door to remain closed.

I agree about the future, and will add that security can often be securing one's enslavement. And we are limited no matter what: stay in a dead-end job and have security, but be limited to that life; forever wondering "waht if" until it's too late.

A friend once said, his father being a lover of the sea: "If it's not a sail it's an anchor. And if it's holding you in place, cut it loose."

Thank you! Yeah, everyone has their own story, but also, we all share the same obstacles in a way: we've been conditioned to want more and more and more, and this is a very well designed psychological bait that leads us into a very physical trap.

You said "I am at that precipice myself with work, Social Security, to many possessions, a house we don't need anymore, but where to go?"
I get it. It's not wise to just jump into things blindly. But from the stories above, and endless others, we can know, for sure, that all those possessions and things will stay behind-wind up in thrift stores-someone else's possession, or in the dump. Every single wasted moment we spend on them is then for that final end. So what;s more important: our possessions, or our freedom?
We each have to decide, but the fact is that, again, nothing-absolutely nothing that we spend so many hours in a job to buy will we be able to take with us.

My greatest worry is the way things are going-the looming shadow of totalitarianism-the infringement of out liberties.
Remember, Nemo, the spoon isn't real!!!

We used to drive 76 miles, one way to work daily (SW NC to NW SC). When the kids started into Headstart, I stopped working so much with my husband and he ended up having to work longer hours, sometimes 7 days a week around the holiday season. One day he came home a little early. The kids wouldn't let him near them. They didn't know who he was. That was when he realized he hadn't seen the kids in over two months. We dumped the house back on the market, got rid of the chickens, shoved most of our stuff into a storage unit, loaded the pets, packed the hard sided popup and towed it down to a public campground across from a resort he mostly worked at. We lived like that for over 2 months while I looked for a place to rent. Every one was shocked that we did that. Some people will never get the nerve up to make a leap. Some people find it easier.

I strongly suggest that you find a non-KOA park to stay in until you get the hang of living in an RV and can practice being completely self contained (with the safety of having hookups that you can just plug into). KOA means "Keep On Adding" and is one of the most expensive places to stay. Most private parks will cost less per night than a public park if you stay at the monthly rate (no "bed tax" on monthly rates). Use campendium.com or RVparky.com are good sources. Make sure you read thru all the reviews. Most parks will let you look around if you talk the the people at the office first. Most parks have a two pet limit as well.

Also you need to make sure your dogs don't bark. Find a public dog park to take your dogs to so they can burn off energy at least once per week.

I view my bus as a rolling apartment. My daughter views her truck camper (daily driver) as her "go bag"/"picnic bag". The dog thinks the truck camper is hers.

We used to drive 76 miles, one way to work daily (SW NC to NW SC). When the kids started into Headstart, I stopped working so much with my husband and he ended up having to work longer hours, sometimes 7 days a week around the holiday season. One day he came home a little early. The kids wouldn't let him near them. They didn't know who he was. That was when he realized he hadn't seen the kids in over two months. We dumped the house back on the market, got rid of the chickens, shoved most of our stuff into a storage unit, loaded the pets, packed the hard sided popup and towed it down to a public campground across from a resort he mostly worked at. We lived like that for over 2 months while I looked for a place to rent. Every one was shocked that we did that. Some people will never get the nerve up to make a leap. Some people find it easier.

I strongly suggest that you find a non-KOA park to stay in until you get the hang of living in an RV and can practice being completely self contained (with the safety of having hookups that you can just plug into). KOA means "Keep On Adding" and is one of the most expensive places to stay. Most private parks will cost less per night than a public park if you stay at the monthly rate (no "bed tax" on monthly rates). Use campendium.com or RVparky.com are good sources. Make sure you read thru all the reviews. Most parks will let you look around if you talk the the people at the office first. Most parks have a two pet limit as well.

Also you need to make sure your dogs don't bark. Find a public dog park to take your dogs to so they can burn off energy at least once per week.

I view my bus as a rolling apartment. My daughter views her truck camper (daily driver) as her "go bag"/"picnic bag". The dog thinks the truck camper is hers.
I say you did the right thing.
Around where I'm at, the KOA is actually the cheapest, with a private one being, in addition to more expensive, barren and desolate. I will certainly check out those links! Thank you!

I say you did the right thing.
Around where I'm at, the KOA is actually the cheapest, with a private one being, in addition to more expensive, barren and desolate. I will certainly check out those links! Thank you!
A saying in real-estate is "location, location, location!". How can you argue with that?

The advantage found, when the house is on wheels is, unless you buy your space, you have nothing invested in location!

Remember Nemo! The spoon is not real! The masters of the matrix, will, as you say, likely be the ones that profit from your hard work!

On wheels, the amount of your time traded, for the location is a matter of choice! Most people still plugged into the matrix, choose the allusion of location, and its illusion of value! Remember Nemo! What I so far have taught you!

You have this moment! Location, conveniences, comforts, are all part of the matrix! They are not real! You are only trading your NOW freedom, for the bonds these things impose on you! We all do! But that does not make them real!

It is difficult to find this truth when older, it is easier to unplug when your young! While you are listening to yourself, is the time to go within and listen to your heart!!!

A saying in real-estate is "location, location, location!". How can you argue with that?

The advantage found, when the house is on wheels is, unless you buy your space, you have nothing invested in location!

Remember Nemo! The spoon is not real! The masters of the matrix, will, as you say, likely be the ones that profit from your hard work!

On wheels, the amount of your time traded, for the location is a matter of choice! Most people still plugged into the matrix, choose the allusion of location, and its illusion of value! Remember Nemo! What I so far have taught you!

You have this moment! Location, conveniences, comforts, are all part of the matrix! They are not real! You are only trading your NOW freedom, for the bonds these things impose on you! We all do! But that does not make them real!

It is difficult to find this truth when older, it is easier to unplug when your young! While you are listening to yourself, is the time to go within and listen to your heart!!!
You pretty much nailed it, except for "Nemo" LOL! It would actually be "Neo", but I get your drift for sure!

Attachments

• NeoBullets_02.gif
    NeoBullets_02.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back