Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Daw1422

RVF Newbee
I have a 2021 Jayco 212QB presently with a lead acid battery. Wanting to change to two LiFePo 100 Ah batteries. Is the present converter ok?

Do you have the product manual for the exact make and model of your charge controller? Given how relatively new that a lithium iron phosphate battery is, I will be surprised if your controller supports that battery type.

Rick

Thanks Rick,
You were correct. The Power Center references "Battery Adaptability" only listing lead acid and AGM.
Does that mean a LiFePo will not work or that it will not charge to its full capacity?

Lithium Iron Phosphate needs a higher voltage charge for best power storage and performance, if I remember correctly. And yes, these batteries usually have a built in battery management system but never forget that these are lithium-based and fires in these batteries are a worry for me. Do a You Tube search for "lithium battery fire" to see what can happen.

Thusly, I run my one LiFePO4 battery only with a charge controller that supports that type.

Rick

Thank you Rick for joining me! The fans of EVs and lithium in general have turned a blind ear to my warnings! The passive equalization circuit in the BMS requires a fully charged battery to equalize the cells. This may never cause you harm if you don't discharge below 50%, but down at 30%soc, you may have built yourself a fireworks display.

Anyone telling you that you don't ever need to fully charge a lithium battery should not be listened to on anything lithium, because he/she is putting you and your families lives in danger.

When asked by a solar installer what I thought! I took the time to tell him every part of his install required maximum charging voltage tolerances. He came back telling me the inverter he was installing would kick out before the charge voltage level. That has been a few years ago so newer inverters may no longer have that issue.

Every argument I make, I leave another drop of information, I leave it to you to do your own studying, that way you are responsible for your own outcomes.

Latest resources

Back