Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

roadtrek

RVF Regular
Hi, is there an issue with using a lithium battery in my roadtrek, disconnect isolator, and use a small amp lithium charger every few days or so.
I'm not concerned about getting the most charge in my lithium battery everyday. It's kind of a work around replacing inverter.
Thanks

I have 200ahr of lithium in my Roadtrek. I think one issue to be concerned about is that lithium batteries will in general take all the charge amperage they can get. They can overload your vehicle’s alternator. I bought a “Renogy 12V 30A DC to DC Charger with MPPT” (they also have a 50A version). This device will connect to engine electrical system and limit the power charging the house batteries to 30A. I have 200W of solar on the roof. While the vehicle is parked the Renogy device will charge my house batteries and when they are full it then charges the engine battery.

The only other thing to consider is freezing temperatures and lithium batteries. I’m a snowbird so when it gets chilly I go south and stay there till it warms up again in the north.

Remembering… I think I also made an adjustment to the inverter/charger to reduce the charging amperage when I was plugged in. If I remember correctly the lithium batteries were working that charger pretty hard. I believe there is some dip switches that changes the charging rate.

I have 200ahr of lithium in my Roadtrek. I think one issue to be concerned about is that lithium batteries will in general take all the charge amperage they can get. They can overload your vehicle’s alternator. I bought a “Renogy 12V 30A DC to DC Charger with MPPT” (they also have a 50A version). This device will connect to engine electrical system and limit the power charging the house batteries to 30A. I have 200W of solar on the roof. While the vehicle is parked the Renogy device will charge my house batteries and when they are full it then charges the engine battery.

The only other thing to consider is freezing temperatures and lithium batteries. I’m a snowbird so when it gets chilly I go south and stay there till it warms up again in the north.
Hi, I'll have to check that charger out. I thought there were some other issues using regular charger to charge lithium batteries but I haven't heard people complain about ruining there lithium batteries. I'll have to read more about to hat charger. Thanks a bunch for the information. I may have more questions later🤔

Latest resources

Back