Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Living Room Recliner Removal (1985 Sportscoach III)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

roses0096

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Sportscoach III
RV Length
33ft
Fulltimer
Yes
Hello! Just picked up a 1985 Sportscoach III and have been making some modifications to it. My next modification includes removing a swiveling lounge chair in the living room area. Not the passenger/shotgun swiveling seat, but the smaller recliner on the floor right behind it.

I thought it was as simple as removing the 4 nuts and lifting it off the bolts. I do no need to remove the bolts as my modification will be built around/over them. After some tugging and it not budging, I did some researching and found a source that advised to check the area outside immediately underneath to see if there are other screws/bolts holding it in from there - the RV batteries are located directly underneath this chair.

However, there are no visible screws/bolts holding the chair in place from the inside that battery compartment. The only screws that are there are holding (I believe) a little side table located between this chair I'm trying to remove and another chair to the right identical to it - I don't plan on taking out that side table.

Any advice on how to move forward? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
You can see the bolt heads above the batteries. Looks like they are screwed into the chair legs from below?
Make sure you remove the batteries, or cover them with something, while using tools in there. Shorting a battery could be a dangerous event.

You can see the bolt heads above the batteries. Looks like they are screwed into the chair legs from below?
Make sure you remove the batteries, or cover them with something, while using tools in there. Shorting a battery could be a dangerous event.
Those bolt heads don't line up with the chair though. The chair is located pretty much right above the batteries where the only screws that are there are the ones holding up some wiring for the batteries. The ones shown in the picture seem to be ones that line up with a small table next to the chair.

If you don’t care about saving the chair, there is a a dirty way to do it.
Take the seat off so you can work around. Cut each leg 3-4 inches from the bolt and rotate each leg off the bolts.
Than cut the bolts flush. Me thinks??

It's possible that the chair legs didn't line up perfectly with the 4 bolts in the floor so they "forced" the legs down over the bolts during installation. Pulling up on the chair does nothing because the bolts/holes are in a bind. Take a crow bar and gently pry up under one of the legs at a time. It should give you enough leverage to get one of the legs off it's bolt. Using a block of wood to pry against rather than your floor will help keep the floor from being damaged.

Latest resources

Back