Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It's interesting that I usually don't see a number in sqft for the living space in Motorhomes. I can see someone even myself shopping for a RV of any type that has the largest living space. I know some and some I talked to at Palm Creek that chose a 5th wheel or TT so as not to have to deal with the engine, cost of the engine, or having something sitting still for months on end with no lube, fuel, hydraulics being circulated. I watch the RV shows at times on GAC (Great American Country) channel and am curious what RV's out there have the largest living space for people choosing the full time lifestyle and pro's and con's of a Motorhome vs. 5th wheel or Travel Trailer.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it would have been helpful for them to list the square footage of living space when we were shopping around for an RV to use as a full-time residence. (We don't live in one but were looking for one for my dad.) From my first-hand experience comparing different travel trailers and 5th wheels, I found out that 5th wheels are much more spacious inside with higher ceilings than a regular travel trailer, and thus more suitable for long term living. We didn't look at motor homes, but since we weren't going to be moving it around we didn't need an expensive engine sitting there unused like you said.

FYI- Sq. Footage would be hard to compare because of slide-outs. Most RVs are just measured from front to back and then by layout & how many they will sleep.
IMHO - My wife & I have been full-time in a 30' Class A pulling a Honda Accord on a tow dolly since 12/16. If I could get a 'do over', (first)- no Class A, I would get a 1 Ton Dually to (second) pull a very short 5th Wheel. The short 5th Wheel works in State & National Parks, the big, long RVs - not so much. Here's why: labor costs on a Class A run from $120-$150/hour depending on the shop. A pick-up can be fixed at almost any shop for a lot less. And if your Class A is in the shop, where do you sleep? If your 5th wheel needs service, you end up in a hotel also. But the fiver gives you a lot more room for the buck. IMHO.

We have thought about, and compared, these same issues since deciding to try the full time lifestyle back in 2010. When we finally sold our home up north and pulled the trigger it was in a fiver and a F350 diesel (2011). We transitioned to Class A's since then.

There are so many advantages and disadvantages to each it would take me several paragraphs to touch on all of them based on our experience.

For us the determining factor was toad or toads. When we were in the fiver we had one vehicle for all of our transportation/sightseeing needs while camped. Our desire to have our motorcycle and a second mode of transportation drove us to a Class A.

In all likelihood once we start traveling without the motorcycle, or purchase another sticknbrick, we will either go back to a fiver or maybe even try a short pull behind.

Fifth-Wheels will definitely provide the greatest square footage of living space. Have seen them with up to 6 slide-outs. My sister's neighbor in Florida, had one with six slides, and when completely opened, the thing almost looked like a house inside. Had all the conveniences, even a fireplace, etc. If I remember correctly, the thing weighed like 16,000#. He pulled it with a diesel Ford F-550 crew-cab conversion! An impressive rig, but he probably had as much in that rig as many folks have in a 45 ft. Coach! And think the trailer was 43'or 45'! It was a couple years ago that I saw it!
This past January, when visiting my Sister, spoke with him; he sold it all & bought an airplane!:) Must be nice!

If selling = buying an airplane, then those folks are not concerned with labor costs. I guess they wanted to get someplace quicker!
I'm hoping for a 'clean' report on my mold test results so I can get back to remodeling my 'cracker box'.

I’ve had tents, pull behinds, 5 wheels and now a class A. Correct there are pros and cons for each. The 5th wheel by far had the most room and I have seen many times a small trailer connected to the 5th wheel for the motorcycle. I used mine mainly for extended stay, but I put leveler system on it and hitch camera for easy hookup And generator So if I wanted to go for a couple days it was not as much work. The Class A is great for us now because when we travel now we’re not staying too long in one spot going from place to place. Much nicer on the road.

Latest resources

Back