Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Long-term camping with a pop up or teardrop?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

AirborneNomad

RVF Regular
Tempted to put a small pop up or teardrop behind my car and drive it down to warmer climates for the winter. I know every resort is different, but in general, could I get a monthly rate for such a rig or would they have some minimum length requirement or somthing?

Tempted to put a small pop up or teardrop behind my car and drive it down to warmer climates for the winter. I know every resort is different, but in general, could I get a monthly rate for such a rig or would they have some minimum length requirement or somthing?
I’m following.

Resorts and campgrounds have different policies. Find one that interests you and read their rules. Most are online.

We were in AZ a couple of winters ago and found ourselves parked beside a young couple and their German Shepard dog who were full-timing in a tear drop.

You meet a lot of Canadians at campgrounds during the winter months. We met a very nice family down in the keys, a man, his wife and their three kids that I kid you not, said they come down here for the full 8 months Canadians are allowed to - and they were in a pop up camper that I don’t think I could fit my king size bed into.

Now they would shuffle about the US, coming down from Banff and stopping in AZ, coming through Texas then down to FL, then as it warmed up they would creep their way back.

There are lots of parks that have zero issue with pop ups. Take a look at Thousand Trails and Sun Resorts. Both have a large amount of parks and should cover just about anywhere you want to go.

We’ll be doing it in an 18 foot teardrop. We are not staying in one place but rather exploring and hiking the west coast and staying a few days here and there. Maybe a week if we really like it. Towing with a mid size SUV/CUV. We did the big diesel pusher for years. Now it’s time to get into the little spots on the secondary highways.

Latest resources

Back