Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
Im interested in a 25’ish TT that is very well built, heavy duty enough to handle some rough dirt roads, preferably with a slide. This will be for two people, so a simple floor plan is all we’ll need/want. The majority of production TT’s do not seem up to the task. I’m looking for suggestions on good quality, well built, nice travel trailers. Also weight doesn't matter (I have plenty for truck for towing) but the heavier the better. I’ll probably go to a few shows, but there is nothing like the voice of experience. I do have some preferences/biases do Airstream snd any Forest river product are out of the running. Im curious about build quality of Outdoors RV trailers.

We had an old '63 19ft Airstream we bought for a hunting trailer and we took it on some pretty rough roads for many years. Of course back then they were made with a very solid steel frame and it had a single torsion bar suspension.
Good luck with your search. (y)

I had some ideas but you lost me when you said slides preferable. Nothing that new has captured my attention, other than bread loaf designs.

yeah I might be in for a load-of-bread type. I’m going to take a closer look at the Outdoors ORV line. From what I can see hey are still an independent/privately held builder which helps my confidence in them. Guess I’ll have to go to a show or two.

yeah I might be in for a load-of-bread type. I’m going to take a closer look at the Outdoors ORV line. From what I can see hey are still an independent/privately held builder which helps my confidence in them. Guess I’ll have to go to a show or two.
Ok! Went to their site! I see two things I appreciate!

So Rich, what makes them stand out to you???

heavy axles and an ice maker

Seriously though, I eliminated anything from the big three, choosing to peruse independent builders, then looked for ground clearance, heavy capacity (axles, frame, suspension), relatively high NCCC, and just more weight. Any trailer that qualifies as light weight, does so by using cheap and thus usually fragile materials, I don’t care what it weights because I can tow 18,000lbs from the factory hitch and no 25’ trailer will be close to that. These are about half and that means they didn’t sacrifice quality for weight savings. Dual pane windows are an example, as well as solid surface counters, and bigger holding and fresh water tanks.

Outdoor Rv has a lighter weight category too, but thats not what I’m looking for. They don’t have a lot of outside storage but I’d be towing it with a pick-up that doesn’t have a 5th wheel hitch taking up a lot of room. And they are built in Central Oregon, far from the trappings of Elkhart, with actually using the RV for its intended purpose in mind, not mass production, weight savings, and cheap materials. They have aluminum frame walls, a “four season” build design, and what they call a custom chassis which I think deserves a look.

This is all based on the idea of a rather radical down-size/camping style change. I’m paying too much to the DMV, too much for insurance, and too much for fuel and maintenance. By eliminating the coach and toad from the fleet, the savings are almost $3000/year with them just sitting. More of course if I use them. Also the older I get the more work it is to operate the coach. I never thought I’d say that, but there it is. I’d miss the quality of the coach and the laundry and big kitchen, but I know that a change like this will involve compromises.

Theres a dealer near me (Yuba City) so I can go over there and take a first hand look. I might be completely turned off when I see them, but I’ll never know until I do. And it’s near the John Deere dealership so it wont be a wasted trip.

Seriously though, I eliminated anything from the big three, choosing to peruse independent builders, then looked for ground clearance, heavy capacity (axles, frame, suspension), relatively high NCCC, and just more weight. Any trailer that qualifies as light weight, does so by using cheap and thus usually fragile materials, I don’t care what it weights because I can tow 18,000lbs from the factory hitch and no 25’ trailer will be close to that. These are about half and that means they didn’t sacrifice quality for weight savings. Dual pane windows are an example, as well as solid surface counters, and bigger holding and fresh water tanks.

Outdoor Rv has a lighter weight category too, but thats not what I’m looking for. They don’t have a lot of outside storage but I’d be towing it with a pick-up that doesn’t have a 5th wheel hitch taking up a lot of room. And they are built in Central Oregon, far from the trappings of Elkhart, with actually using the RV for its intended purpose in mind, not mass production, weight savings, and cheap materials. They have aluminum frame walls, a “four season” build design, and what they call a custom chassis which I think deserves a look.

This is all based on the idea of a rather radical down-size/camping style change. I’m paying too much to the DMV, too much for insurance, and too much for fuel and maintenance. By eliminating the coach and toad from the fleet, the savings are almost $3000/year with them just sitting. More of course if I use them. Also the older I get the more work it is to operate the coach. I never thought I’d say that, but there it is. I’d miss the quality of the coach and the laundry and big kitchen, but I know that a change like this will involve compromises.

Theres a dealer near me (Yuba City) so I can go over there and take a first hand look. I might be completely turned off when I see them, but I’ll never know until I do. And it’s near the John Deere dealership so it wont be a wasted trip.
So!!! When someone that is as knowledgeable as yourself is,who has helped as many as you have helped here! Starts looking at 24 foot trailers,and has one in mind! I thought it prudent to prompt you to help others with your seemingly impeccable ability to make sound choices!!!

Congratulations to you for your explanation into your thought process! I believe it will help those wondering how to start looking!!!

A good friend (who researches everything) recently purchased a LANCE. Don't know anything about them but you might sneak a peek 😉 Blessings

So!!! When someone that is as knowledgeable as yourself is,who has helped as many as you have helped here! Starts looking at 24 foot trailers,and has one in mind! I thought it prudent to prompt you to help others with your seemingly impeccable ability to make sound choices!!!

Congratulations to you for your explanation into your thought process! I believe it will help those wondering how to start looking!!!
I’d still like to know your “two things…”

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back