• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RvRick

RVF Regular
Hello all !

First time poster, longer time lurker lol.

I'm in the market for a used Class C RV. We had a travel trailer before, sold it at the end of 2020, and now are looking for a Class C instead. I'm looking for general advice on what to look for. We have a floorplan in mind but are open to different ones as well if we get the "wow" effect while visiting. We're looking at a floorplan with bunkbeds in the back, typically in a slide-out next to the queen bed.

Anyways, there are a few for sale, but we saw a 2018 forester LE a few hours from here that looks in decent shape. Only thing is it's got ~43500 miles on it already. I'm guessing it was bought in 2017 and is a 2018 model, but still. I asked the seller and he told me the owner went to a lot of quad races etc, so he travelled a lot because of that, and it was never rented out. He says all maintenance was done and has paperwork (which he'd show me upon visiting), tires and all liquids were changed spring this year.

I asked about leaks, and he said it never actually leaked inside, but there is what looks to be like a little bubble formed under a window. He said another potential buyer had it inspected a few weeks ago, inspection was good except he recommended they redo all caulking and properly re-sealed everything (which I'd do anyways juste for peace of mind). That buyer apparently didn't pass the credit check so couldn't buy it.

Anyways, I'd like your general thoughts on it, this kind of model, yay/nays, anything to look out for other than that. Would that mileage scare you or is that fine?

Cheers!!
Thanks!

I had a Forester 2801QS. It was a great coach. Whatever you get have it independently inspected yourself. If you can find one with the trekker roof (no overhang), that is my preference. Common places for leaks are the marker lights on top, and where the front cap meets the main roof, thus my dislike of the overhang bouncing down the road. Also it doesn't feel like you are driving in an eternal tunnel.

We just bought a Coachmen Concord in December of last year. So far we love it, 300ts and plenty of room. We need to be a bit creative with cargo so some items go in the toad.

Thanks guys, those are two nice coaches ! We'll have the kids with us to that overhead will be useful, even if it's just for storage (previous TT had bunk beds but the kids preferred sleeping with mom and dad, at least back then lol. We'll work on it!).

I will definitely have it inspected myself on top of what they already have done. As far as that leak, I have a picture of it. Would this bother anybody? Is it easy to fix?

Thanks!
received_180326100830730.jpeg

FWIW, the mileage wouldn't bother me. I think the engine will be in better condition than one that sits most of the time. Of course, maintenance is key. The bubble, well that sucks. But probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Fix it and move on. There are several places online that will sell you a DIY kit to repair that, or you can have someone professional take care of it. Even better, tell the seller you'll buy it after he has it fixed.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum!

FWIW, the mileage wouldn't bother me. I think the engine will be in better condition than one that sits most of the time. Of course, maintenance is key. The bubble, well that sucks. But probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Fix it and move on. There are several places online that will sell you a DIY kit to repair that, or you can have someone professional take care of it. Even better, tell the seller you'll buy it after he has it fixed.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum!
Thanks Jim !

Can you point me to one of those kits please? I'm a DIY kind of guy whenever I can, I'd love to look up what's involved! Especially if I can just repair and stop it from expanding lol.

Cheers!

Here's another question: the Generator has 288 hours on it. Is that a lot ? Does it matter as long as it was maintained ?

Latest resources

Back