Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I was not a fan in the beginning of the Magneshades as they are a little bit of a pain to put up but now that I have a system down having done it plenty of times I'm a big fan. I do believe they help by blocking the sun / heat prior to entering your glass vs. trapping heat between your windshield and opaque visor. I have a full array of Magneshade products from wiper blade covers, mirror covers (protects from birds, maybe hail, etc.), and tire covers which are far easier to stow than the slip over covers I used first. It can take some time from order to delivery so plan accordingly, i.e. don't wait for June when you need them to order. The tire covers store 3 each in a blue bag, the other shades you can roll up around a pool noodle and stow in your pass through bay. Be sure to get the bag, I believe they throw it in free for Veterans.

If you store the telescoping pole used for installation inside the center of the noodle it stiffens the noodle and makes it easier to roll up.

X2^

love mine, and Magnashade gave incredibly great custom service!!.... pleasure to deal with, highly recommended

only drawback I've found was when the shade dropped onto the ground and the magnents picked up everything that was attracted to them

just be careful not to drop in the dirt!

Do these shades reject the heat from the sun? Our cockpit area is like a sauna during the day even with the OEM inside night shades down.

they are only available black or brown... unless you order custom graphics

As you can imagine, black or brown does not reflect sunlight heat as well as a reflective or light colored product

However, they will insulate b/t the glass and the interior

So... yes... the cockpit can become warm. I usually draw my curtains as well when needed...

They also are somewhat transparent during the daylight (inside to outside) and in the dark hours the transparency switches to outside to inside... Somewhat like tinted glass.... wherever the light source is that area will be visible.

You'll have privacy during the day but at night you may want to close curtains if your interior lights are on ;)

Do these shades reject the heat from the sun? Our cockpit area is like a sauna during the day even with the OEM inside night shades down.

We have the black shades on the windshield of our Bay Star. I don't have measurements of exact differences, but the difference in temperature within a couple of feet of the windshield was easily noticeable, in particular if directly facing the sun. And where I really noticed a significant drop in temperature was in the electronics cabinet above the driver where our satellite receive is located. The added benefit is I can see out during the day so we get a bit more open feeling in the coach. Just have to remember to close the blackout shade at night so people can't see in.

According to the Magne Shade website, the black and brown offer the best heat protection.
"Our most popular selling color combination is Black Fabric with Black Binding. The black and brown fabrics offer the best heat protection and UV control, while providing the best view out and daytime privacy." Magne Shade.

Thank you all. Looks like the mfg will be at the Tampa show this year. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Just ordered for new coach and asked for returning customer discount, they obliged which covered the shipping. For those considering ordering they usually have specials during shows such as Tampa. They are sending an install team in March to FMCA rally in Tucson, cost is yet to be determined. They said only looking to cover teams travel/hotel/meals and estimated $150-200, I declined as this will be my 3rd install.

I’m cheap?

Thank you all. Looks like the mfg will be at the Tampa show this year. I'll check it out.

Joe, I just ordered my Magnashades yesterday, and in speaking with them, they will have a booth at the Super RV Show. However they will not be doing any installations. Just taking orders. Appears the "Show Special" is you get the storage bag($35) free with your order. They included it in my order yesterday, as a show deal!;)

We ordered the "black", as the coach is gold, maroon, & black, and did the binding in black as well. Should receive them just before Christmas, & just in time to take on our Florida trip, & install them while we are there. Maybe at the Tampa show. Since there will be 200 Newmar coaches, I may even find someone with experience, that can supervise the installation!(y)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back