lahad1

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Entegra
RV Model
29V
RV Length
We will be towing my 2019 Honda CRV on a tow dolly behind our 32ft Class C MH. Brand new to all of this and have questions. We are wondering about the necessity of magnetic brake lights for the tow vehicle. The tow dolly has full brake lights. Will we be required to have magnetic brake lights on the car as well? Is this mandated in any of the states or Canada?
thank you so much
L

I don't think you "legally" have to maintain another set of lights on your vehicle when it is towed in a tow dolly, however when we were using one I always thought it was safer to do so.

I ran a long 4-pin wire through the front door and out the rear hatch of our SUV and plugged in one of these to the receiver hitch on the towed SUV:

We use a tow dolly. I researched this topic when we purchased the Dolly.
Additional lights on tow vehicles are not required by law in the US.
However if you tow late into the night it might be an option.

There are some interesting laws regarding tow dolly. The vehicle on the Dolly has to have operating turn, running and brake lights even though they are not in use. Also I have read that if the rear of the vehicle extends farther than six feet past the dolly lights, the vehicle has to have additional lighting.

There are some interesting laws regarding tow dolly. The vehicle on the Dolly has to have operating turn, running and brake lights even though they are not in use. Also I have read that if the rear of the vehicle extends farther than six feet past the dolly lights, the vehicle has to have additional lighting.
Thanks Joe, since the front tires are on the portion of the dolly that has it's brake lights, it sounds like the extra lighting is required. My CRV has to be longer than 6 feet from from front tire to end of the vehicle.
L

Regarding state laws, in California, there are some additional dolly regulations.

A sample:
  • 24604 Whenever the load or trailer projects more than 4 feet behind the tow vehicle or obstructs the taillights, the projection must be equipped with taillamps. (magnetic lights are OK 24605)

Source: Here are the California Towing Laws You Need To Know Before You Tow

My advice is to buy a cheap set from harbor freight and use them its just more visability in a crisis situation and there cheap. I use the harbor freight ones on my tow truck and have had great luck with them. Once you put them out and know which is left and right mark them so you dont have to figure that out each time you use them. Route the wires through the tops edges of the doors and wipers up front they only take a minute to install.

LSG; That is what we did.

Latest resources

Back