RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Montana Mountaineer
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Okay I am a single retired man and about to head south to warmer weather for the winter. I’m new to the RV life and I’m gonna experiment with RVing and if I like it I’ll sell my house and make it a full-time living I’m going to be heading on toll roads heading south and my question is if I’m going through Kansas on the turnpike mainly 335 is it legal or should I say OK to pull over with my fifth wheel fill up with fuel at a oasis and spend the night there and hopefully put the bedroom slide out and sleep in my RV overnight. I believe I have everything ready have spent a lot of time organizing and researching this any advice

I would be very careful of pulling the slide out unless you were parked in such a way that nobody could drive to that side of the open slide. Too much chance of someone not paying attention in either a car or truck and doing damage. But I think fuel at the oasis is more costly than being off the toll road and on a regular road. Staying the night off to the side there might be really noisey and you might not get a good night sleep but i think it is legal.

Truck stops are a pretty secure place to overnight - the trick is to find a place to park along the side of the property where you don't block the truckers spaces (they need room to back in) and where you can put out the slides over the grass etc... I'll use Google maps satellite view to scope them out in advance. I've found this is more common in the West vs., the east. Since I tow a vehicle, this can be ideal so I don't have to unhook. Otherwise I'll find a cheap campground with bigrig access.

I have done it in KS I-35 turnpike. I would not have the slide out. The whole idea of rest areas are to stop tired driving. I don't spend the full night just long enough to rest up and away I go.

I will ask why the turnpike?

Agree on not putting the slide out unless you're over the edge of the lot

I have done it in KS I-35 turnpike. I would not have the slide out. The whole idea of rest areas are to stop tired driving. I don't spend the full night just long enough to rest up and away I go.

I will ask why the turnpike?
They seem to be good by passes. Especially around Dallas and Austin. I like the oasis where it’s friendly towards big rigs.

Latest resources

Back