Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Nathan Said

RVF Newbee
Hi folks, I am not a motorhome owner, but have been a long-time Freightliner technician who has worked on many of the FCCC RV's. I am now looking into providing on-site maintenance for RV's in my area, but have a few questions for owners that might help this come to life.
1) Do most owner's have easy access to the engine serial number for there coach. I ask this because most dealers need it to get the correct filters and it does not come up in their system with just the VIN. I can call into FCCC and get the ESN, but to do this for every job is not very feasible. Making 2 trips to every customer's location is not feasible either of course. Any suggestions for this process would be very helpful.
2) Does this sound like a helpful service to provide for you guys? I plan on starting out as maintenance based, meaning winterizing, engine oil, fuel, and air filters. Differential, transmission, hub oil services, as well as HVAC services. I Could also perform higher mileage services such as valve adjustment also. I sure will appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.

Hi @Nathan Said , and welcome to RV Forums.

I think your service would be a welcomed addition to anyone’s toolbox. There are plenty of mobile RV techs around who work on the house, but in my experience , it’s tougher to find someone to address chassis issues.

On my Newmar, there is a sticker low on the wall behind the drivers seat that contains the ESN among other things. I suspect other manufacturers have similar.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Thank you for the info. I have looked at these for the vin many times, but never realized that they also have component serial numbers listed. Very helpful!

In your planning you need to consider would “I be allowed to preform this type of maintenance”. If coach is stored at persons residence, yes. If at storage facility, maybe. If at an RV park, probably not.

In your planning you need to consider would “I be allowed to preform this type of maintenance”. If coach is stored at persons residence, yes. If at storage facility, maybe. If at an RV park, probably not.
I have thought of that, and you are correct. I am surrounded by campgrounds and lakes near me which gave me the idea, but draining any fluids is not allowed at most I've talked to. I did run a service truck for Freightliner for some years though and have worked on many in storage facilities and homes around the area. Hopefully there is enough business there to grow with. Thank you for the input.

Nathan, here is an experience I had that you should consider in your endeavor.

I had a part time retirement gig at a local power sports dealership in the parts department. I know the owner and he asked me to come and fill in for his parts manager who had become seriously ill.

I was shocked at the lack of knowledge of some owners who would come in or call about parts and they could not even tell me the year or model of their equipment. Ask for the VIN...forget about that, even when I told them exactly where the VIN was located, they "couldn't find it".

I'm sure this lack of owner knowledge is not confined to the power sports industry. I'm guessing there are some RV owners who won't be able to provide you the information you need to pull parts for a service call to save you a trip. Worst would be if the owner supplied you the wrong info about the rig and you pull parts only to show up and find something completely different.

Just something to consider.

Hi folks, I am not a motorhome owner, but have been a long-time Freightliner technician who has worked on many of the FCCC RV's. I am now looking into providing on-site maintenance for RV's in my area, but have a few questions for owners that might help this come to life.
1) Do most owner's have easy access to the engine serial number for there coach. I ask this because most dealers need it to get the correct filters and it does not come up in their system with just the VIN. I can call into FCCC and get the ESN, but to do this for every job is not very feasible. Making 2 trips to every customer's location is not feasible either of course. Any suggestions for this process would be very helpful.
2) Does this sound like a helpful service to provide for you guys? I plan on starting out as maintenance based, meaning winterizing, engine oil, fuel, and air filters. Differential, transmission, hub oil services, as well as HVAC services. I Could also perform higher mileage services such as valve adjustment also. I sure will appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.
Welcome and where are you located?

Latest resources

Back